Setting up a Frontosa Tank! Suggestions please!

janine456

Hi there people.

Im doing some research on setting up a Frontosa tank. I want to set up a really close to the natural habitat type tank, so can you experienced Frontosa keepers give me suggestions about temperature, ph, rocks/plants, substrate, and any other useful information please! For the amount of money Im spending on them (and im a student so I don't have alot!) I really want to do this right the first time! Any photos of Frontosa tanks would also be useful.

Cheers in advance

:)

We have ours in an 8ft tank, around 900 litres. We use Aragonite for substrate.. well rocked.. Vallis does well with the high ph, we have a Giant type Vallis in our set up. We have 2 x 2400 Aquis external canister filters running on the tank, a good filtration is a must (however, that goes for most things)

Will post a pic over later on today, our Frons are still young, so tank is nowhere near what it will be once they grow, we will be landscaping it properly then.

• 3 weeks later...

OK well i bought a 6 foot tank for my 9 lil Frontosa that are arriving on Wednesday.. The tank is gonna look SO empty for a pretty long time till the Fronts grow up a bit. Any advice on tank mates i can add that won't be aggressive? Or any other hints to make the tank look more interesting? Photos are always helpful! Cheers

I have Lelus in with my Frons and Alto comps for now, and also have a nice Rubin Red Peacock in the tank, he seems to draw the fish out alot more... even tho my Frons have never been shy as such, all are happy chappies, I know what you mean about bare when they are small, our 8fter was like that but now the Frons are growing it looks alot fuller :lol:

I wouldn't go putting anything in with them just yet till they are a bit bigger, how big are they currently?

I would let them settle in first.

while fronts are small, duboisi's,comp's,lelepi's are great companions for frontosa,(fronts)as they get to breeding age you will prolly have to do what i did---just keep fronts as the other fish are great at forcing mum fronts to spit their eggs,free feed!!!!

duboisi's are great for that algae you get on the rocks and glass,they will survive on that alone. i had 1 duboisi which kept my 6ft spotless.

way cheaper than a UV,and really cool to watch it graze all day. they are like cow's.try and feed away from him especially if feeding tetra-bits(colourbits) as it will bloat your duboisi while they are little,doesn't seem to bother them as they get older,might have something to do with their intestinal tract,i think from memory they have 2 tummies or is it an xtra long tummy :lol: oh well must be getting old can't remember :lol: