Freshwater shrimps in NZ

penguinleo

penguinleo its just the same reason why we dont get a lot of things in NZ. for them [DOC/MAF] if its not already in the country then lets not have them at all as its one thing less to worry about.

alextret u must be talking about Prawn park in Taupo. i recommended that place its great fun even if u dont like eating prawns/shrimps.

penguinleo its just the same reason why we dont get a lot of things in NZ. for them [DOC/MAF] if its not already in the country then lets not have them at all as its one thing less to worry about.

alextret u must be talking about Prawn park in Taupo. i recommended that place its great fun even if u dont like eating prawns/shrimps.

oh yea...i know that place....its great seen how they raised prawn in the farm. wish they let me buy a live one though

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly enough I popped down to the local stream here in Lower Hutt, and lo and behold scooped up four shrimps in the first likely 1 metre stretch of shore I looked at. So plenty of these around.

They seem happy enough in an unheated tank inside with a few leopard fish. Anyone have any idea what sort of temperatures they will be comfortable in? Obviously they couldn't be kept too cold indoors in NZ, but I'm keen on avoiding cooking them if I can help it.

They pick away quite happily on algae wafers and missed bits of flake.

Gavin.... :) :)

• 1 month later...