Hi, new to the forum

jolliolli

Hi everyone

thought i'd introduce myself, I'm based in Christchurch and am currently toying between the idea of a tropical vs marine tank. I've been crusing the site the last week or so reading and researching some background information. I've just purchased a secondhand aquaone regal 80 tank (175l)which i'm picking up tomorrow (very excited :D ).

I have a couple of questions which i'm hoping someone can give me some advice on. I'd love to do a marine FO or FOWLR but am a little hesitant. When i was younger my family had tropical tanks and i'm wondering if the step up to doing marine is much of step up. Also i'm not sure what the differences are in costs in setting up a marine FO or FOWLR tank are versus a tropical tank, maybe somebody could give me some insight?

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) the setup i have purchased is useable in a marine scenario? The tank comes with the basic setup (axis one cf1000 external filter, 200 watt heater, 2x25W lights). I would love to do the full marine reef setup but i understand there's quite a big jump in costs associated with halide lighting etc which may be too big a jump straight off. I do wonder if i start off with a FO tank whether i could later add corals etc to make it a reef tank if i decide to go that way

Sorry for the long first post but if someone can let me know if a FO marine or FOWLR is possible with this setup or whether i am better off sticking to a tropical setup that would be great.

cheers :D

I am pretty new and in the middle of making my marine setup. I am currently looking at around $1700 to get started, without having a single animal in my tank. You could ask me about my budget if you need, as it's well researched and current.

Good luck!

yeah I have spent over $1500 setting up so far, not including skimmer or pump to drive skimmer which I got free. most expensive is probarbly test kits which you can't skimp on... They may not seem like much but it all adds up when you need ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, kH, Calcium, Phosphate, and thats just a start!!!!

As you have probably figured out marine is more expensive. Do a little searching on the saltwater forum, I don't have a marine tank (yet!), but it looks like to have a complete marine reef setup you would have to purchase a skimmer, live rock, metal halide light fitting, wave maker (fancy pump for getting flow in tank), pump from sump, water testing gear, plus all the livestock. This can get expensive and most of the salties on this site seem to say the same thing "don't buy cheap". Not very many people use canister filters on marine tanks - the live rock takes care of the biological filtration and the skimmer takes care of the rest

You already have all the physical bits required for a Tropical setup - canister filter, heater & lighting. What you would need to add to get a complete setup assuming you would want to go natural is a layer of plant fertilizer, stones/gravel, piece of bog/drift wood, plants, & fish.

You also might need to look at replacing the tubes in you light fitting as it is second hand - recommended to replace each 6 months.

Good luck with either way you go, and welcome.

Cam

Hi and welcome to this fantastic forum!

Thought i would let you know about our meeting of Chch Totally Tanked which is going to be held on the Saturday 3rd of February about 5pm. Our address is 57A hoon Hay road, Hillmorton. You are welcome to come along. There will be a pot luck barbecue so bring a salad or something to chuck on the barbecue! Oh and be prepared to talk a lot about fishy matters!

Hi

Thanks for the invite :), i'll see if i can come along, my tank is now up and running along with the occupants that came free with the tank (12 goldfish). Originally the idea was to sell the goldfish and set the tank up as a tropical tank but they've kind of grown on me so now the plan is to buy another tank (4ft) and set that up as a tropical tank :). Ive posted a wanted ad in the trade exchange section but if anyone here knows of a 4ft tank and stand being sold i'd be keen to know :).