Asian Tank

meesheelly

I have always wanted an Asian tank, so I am doing a bit of a shuffle round and I am going to turn one of my 200L tanks into my Asian tank.

I really want to use bamboo like this

bamboo_tank.jpg

I was thinking Hygrophila for plants as wel as Bamboo Plant (Blyxa japonica) if i can get it. Or i have read about "lucky bamboo" which is a type of Dracenea that has been grown in tanks. If anyone knows where i can find some please let me know.

And I was wanting to put my Bettas in there and I want to 'borrow' my boyfriends Kuhli and get it some friends.

I was also thinking of adding

gouramis (not sure which ones would be best),

glass catfish

rasboras

dwarf neon rainbows (are they asian?)

maybe clown loaches (how fast do they grow?)

I want a sandy substrate (as all my other tanks are brightwater gravel)but im not sure what and where to find it.

I want to use pieces of bamboo but i have read that thay rot and make a bad smell. Would there be any way to stop this?

So any ideas or comments would be much appreciated.

I want a sandy substrate (as all my other tanks are brightwater gravel)but im not sure what and where to find it.

I used just a bag of builders sand i think it was from bunnings, you just need to give it a real good wash!!!

Clown loaches are slow growing from what i have read and IME i have had my 6 for nearly a year and they have grown a bit but they are far off out growing the tank, then you could always sell or swap them for smaller ones

as for the bamboo i don't think coating it with anything would be a very good idea, it would probably take awhile to get to the rotting stage and then you could just replace it maybe???

As for the gourami, you could alway get a selection?? Dwarfs are quite nice and come in pretty colours :) I personally like my golds and peb's my kissing (i can't see how people think there ugly :P )

Rainbowfish are asian.

Depending on the size of the tank Honeys and Dwarfs G's are good in small tanks but tend to get bullied by bettas. Large Gouramis may bully the betta.

Glass Cats are great in a school they require a few or them to keep them happy

I read that and some people have problems with the bamboo as it breaks down. Might pay to do some research.

THat was what i planned to do my tank like but it didnt turn out like that lol

Good luck with the tank and keep us posted

I read that and some people have problems with the bamboo as it breaks down. Might pay to do some research.

only if its fresh stuff so use dried/dead bamboo. i use tonnes of if in my tanks.

might lower ur PH depends on the amount u use but that goes with just normal driftwood anyway. not necessary a bad thing either.

only if its fresh stuff so use dried/dead bamboo. i use tonnes of if in my tanks.

might lower ur PH depends on the amount u use but that goes with just normal driftwood anyway. not necessary a bad thing either.

could you post a pic of how you have the bamboo in your tanks fishboi??

a group of cherry barbs would look good also

wouldnt barbsnip the bettas?

Yeah that stuff is the lucky bamboo.

only if its fresh stuff so use dried/dead bamboo

So the lucky bamboo would rot?

Im going to use the dead poles but i wanted live stuff as well.

Do you have any problems withthe dead stuff?

cherry babs are very mellow and peaceful keeping them selves to them selves in my opinion . i personally have had no probs with them .

i used builders sand for substrate also (washed again and again !)

there is someone on t.m selling bamboo funiture for tanks .

could you post a pic of how you have the bamboo in your tanks fishboi??

i use it for plecos for there just all lying around for them to use as caves. not standing up like in the pic above.

So the lucky bamboo would rot?

not sure on that one, i was referring to just normal bamboo.

Ok so bamboo was a bad idea

After about a week in the tank they have started to smell like a rotting body.

So i pulled them out and buried them.

Does anyone know of how i can have the bamboo look with out real bamboo?

Also has anyone had the same problem with the tunnels you get?

lol i borrowed it from the Petone forshore.

I liked it coz it looks all rooty.

I now have:

4 glass catfish

6 clown loaches

6 dwarf neon rainbows

5 fighters (plus babies)

And a kulhi loach that is in there somewhere.

Ill put some more pictures once i get some more plants and when the plants grow a bit.