First Pictures of the new Galaxy 's

Billaney

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Billaney, how are things going with your spawning of these guys? I've got about a dozen fry and one early survivor is almost full grown. About to give them a couple tanks to do it properly...

going just fine , have given away / sold a few and kept a school of about 20 for myself to breed again ;)

• 4 weeks later...

in the future, bud :)

In the article it mentions that they were banned from export and are being considered to be allowed again. As far as I know they haven't made the CITES list so if the asian fish farmers get their A's into G we should have them as easily obtainable as danios some day.

In the meantime, my population slowly doubled without any intervention in the last 6 months. They have been in a well planted species only tank. A 25L with lots of moss to hang out in, 8W of lighting and a simple sponge filter with regular partial water changes. I added a chunk of limestone and their colours brightened considerably, which shows they're happier with harder water.

Recently I pulled out a nice shoal of just-free-swimming fry and they're in their own grow out tank. Just finishing with fry formula and onto decap and daphnia. Really enjoying watching them grow, and they seem to develop considerably on a daily basis. The growth rate and quick maturity (I think about 2 months from the ones I've raised in the tank) make them an extremely easy egg layer and I'd recommend them for even beginner breeders as they're tough little cookies and extremely forgiving.

I guess the next step is to build a breeding box as per Billaney's article in the Aquarium World. I think I'll leave the F0 generation in their happy little home to retire and work on mass producing the F1s.

Then again, all these ideas were prior to finding out they're available in the wild again. My suggestion is for someone to go to Mynamar and bring back a tin, which we'll carefully rehydrate and see if they come back into life like the worlds tiniest fish!

I think the main hangup would be the fact that they're still banned for export from Mynamar. Once that's lifted they should be fine to be once again imported to NZ through the same channels as they were allowed last year. There's two things that may hinder that, though -

1) They are added to the CITES list. This will create an immediate and usually permanent ban on future imports, or import regulations that are so strict and cost heavy that no one will even try.

2) They were imported as danios or rasboras the first time and the inspections in the future will not be so lax. I personally was very surprised that they were allowed into the country. With the new import regs Alan mentioned and the renaming to Celestichthys Margaritatus I honestly doubt that will ever happen again.

In the end I believe the current stock that is in NZ to be the only stock we will ever have of this lovely fish, therefore it's imperative that we do everything in our power to breed them and keep them available here.

And to all the current and future breeders - PLEASE exchange F1 or F2 stock with other breeders and keep the bloodlines as pure as possible. I see inbreeding being a major problem in the future.

Cheers.

Exactly. So with the new regs I don't see any chance of them slipping in again, do you Alan? That pretty much means we're stuck with the same stock we currently have until a) the import regs lax up, or b) NZ merges with Australia and MAF loses all control of what comes in and out of the country, or c) the end of the world - whichever comes first.

As I sit here looking at the incredibly vibrant red on the fins of my galaxies and the deep rich black on the flanks I wonder what they will look like in 10 years (if even available any more). If WCMMs are any indication the inbreeding will lose a lot of that colour and if neon tetras are another indicator we'll end up with shortened life spans.

So I guess there isn't much chance of us ever getting the Vietnamese Cardinal Minnow, aye? http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=608

No I can't see the Vietnamese Cardinal Minnow coming in.

I must say I am quit surprised by your statements Blue, as they appear to show lack of understanding of the import rules.

I certainly wouldn't want Aussie to have control of what comes in or not as they are allowed bugger all as they have in parts a tropical environment.