Just sharing a photo - Glowlight Tetra

Hazara

Playing with my new cam - unfortunately the kit lens absolutely sucks at macros, and wont deliver a sharp image at this sort of range. I'm also playing with some new photoshop methods. Wather change and glass scrubbing over the weekend so hopefully I can do better!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/hazara/glowlight-1.jpg

Hi snow - I'm using an eos 400, but I don't recommend it (not the stock kit anyway). The lens is not so good for closeup work - in fact it stinks. Was a lot easier with my old fujifilm finepix s5000 and a simple adaptor.

Play with your camera settings photographing plants first - see what angles etc work, fish are more luck than anything else IMHO.

Thanks Hazara, I also have a Canon, Eos 350D though, I haven't tried it with tank photos yet, I was using an Olympus FE-170 in Macro mode, but I might charge the batteries for my Sony Cybershot, as I have had good success with other subjects in the past. It's just a case of getting around to it though!!!! I am due for a bit of glass scrubbing and water changing myself over the weekend, so will maybe give it another try, a couple of hours after the maintenance. :)

Hey guys thanks for the kind comments!

I just use the onboard camera flash, but it takes a while learning which angles work (my tank is a bowfront so it's really tricky). Also setting the camera to manual and really stopping it down, with as higher shutter speed as the flash can synch with makes quite a difference. LOL I think I understand that - I'm a self taught person.

Also knowing a bit about photo touchup software helps - I spent a lot of time on this photo as an experiment.

The borders I use - the older film frame ones are from my previous camera - I used a full frame print border I scanned and applied that to all my finepix s5000 photos. The new border is simpler - just a 50% black soft light fill.

There are hundreds of programmes that can add borders, but the fancier the worse in my opinion!

@ Snow Try the 350d in manual and dont be afraid to take a hundred or more photos using different settings! I swear the kit lens from the 350d I tested was better than the 400d, photos were a little sharper.