Turtle with crook shell - some help would be appreciated

debs01

Mod Note: Moved this from Diseases... Could be helpful in this area. Bill.

Hi guys,

I havent been around for a while, but anyway..... However this week I am turtle sitting for a nice young man you has just bought a turtle from someone who probably didn't know how to look after her and she has arrived with a bit of a dodgy shell.

Its mostly white and not very healthy looking

Anyway here are some pics of her shell, what do you recommend to help her

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated

shell-rot?

check-

Shell and Skin Problems: When kept in optimal conditions shell and skin problems rarely occur. However because turtles are kept in such confined areas it is imperative to keep those areas clean to avoid any problems.

Fungus is a common problem amongst water turtles. It is usually a direct result of poor water quality. Keepers are often fooled into thinking if the water is clear, it’s clean. This isn’t so. Regular water changes should be part of the routine of cleaning your turtle’s tank. Half of the water should be removed and replaced with fresh water. Filters should be cleaned using cool, not hot, water. This allows for beneficial bacteria to remain in the filter media to help keep your tank water in pristine conditions. A PH and ammonia test kit is good to keep on hand. Water temperature should only be as high as recommended for the species kept and not higher. Often higher temperatures lead to more skin problems and result in turtles not basking.

Skin fungus can usually be treated with salt baths if caught right away. Two tablespoons of aquarium salt per gallon of water can be used to soak your turtle. Place them in just enough water to cover the shell. This should be done once or twice a day (depending on severity) for about four or five days.

When a turtle doesn’t bask this can lead to shell problems. They need to dry out the shell and do this by sunning under the heat lamp on a dry area provided. A turtle kept in inadequate water and not basking will eventually get shell rot. This problem, if caught early enough is treatable, but it takes vigilance on the keeper’s part to keep it from returning. Shell rot can take a very long time to heal. A turtle with shell rot can end up with a systemic infection if that rot is not treated. It’s imperative to treat shell rot immediately and correct the conditions that caused it.

Tortoises are also susceptible to shell rot, so it’s also important to kept them from being kept in less than adequate conditions. Always be sure your turtles have a dry basking area, and keep substrate and water clean.

doesn't look as bad as shell rot as from the pic is just white and normal rather than white with dark black rot spots.

its unfortunately quit common for turtles in captivity and its a early sign of shell rot. its caused by not having a basking place to fully dry off. if the tank is enclosed the basking place is useless as the humidity keep it wet.

they need to fully dry off and this can only be treated by changing the set up so it can do so. when the turtle starts to shed the white would be shed with it and that's the only way to get rid of them i am afraid. it may take couple of sheds depending on the condition.

Thanks fishboi, its sounds about right as she will not bask at all. I am only looking after her for a while but her new owner has told me she wont bask either. SO I guess we will have to try dry docking her for a wee while to encourage her to learn this new habit

Have you got a heat lamp at all??

Ive found with my turtles they just love the heat and since getting heat lamps theyre always sunning them selves on a daily basis and wouldnt have them in a tank with out some sort of heat lamp from now on!

That turtle in the picture doesnt look too bad, (although a clearer pic would be good) they get abit like that when getting close to shedding there shell which they do/should do each year and once it has it should look like new if its not too bad and given good conditions from now on it will be fine!

Yes I have a heat lamp, My turtle is over 15 months old and is very well and healthy with a strong shell, this other turtle has come to me to be looked after for a while in this condition. Its previous owner did have a good set up with lamps lights etc, but never turned them on and didn't seem to think the turtle really needed them