Is strength an issue?

Aquarium Dude

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a 8ft tank in our lounge, on a big steel frame.. going to be clad with heart Rimu tongue and groove... We have 8 steel uprights, 8 points... wanted the tank to be distributed as much as possible.

It's better to overbuild than under build, tho the con to that is, more weight for the floor to handle huh :lol:

For BIG tanks, we definately prefer the ideal of steel structure than wood if manageable price wise...

yeah i wouldnt mine getting a steel frame for my big tank too, how much did you pay for your one Afrikan?

yeah i had to put my big tank in the garage becuase the house is on a hil and built on different levels the garage was the only concrete floor :-?

This is the best and probably one of the most simple designs ive seen, + its strong and stylie (sp?).

http://www.guppy.co.nz/index.php?name=N ... cle&sid=20

Ive just cleaned out my sump in the mdf unit ive got and it appears its been leaking and even though its painted its still warped to buggery and Ive now decided as soon as I can afford it ill be remaking all three units either like above or with those steal frame things that interlock together (from bunnings etc)- Shiuh has a great setup made out the stuff but i cant find where his post on it is.

MDF = Mines deemed F*#@d or maybe just "my design failed" :lol:

but seriously its causing me more trouble than its worth, ok its probably a good couple of years old or more but why not do it once and do it right, it will save any hassel in the future!

Yea your right just dont spill water but sometimes thats easier said than done.

The setups I have I bought second hand so were already painted but admitibly there was a couple of nicks/scrapes from where the sump had been put in/taken out for cleaning etc so I guess that just opened it up for water to seep straight in.

But yea if its built strong enough & as long as its very well painted & you dont spill water it should be fine I guess.

Our kitchen floor has had a total of over 400 litres spilled on the floor, carpet over cork tile.

First time my 200L planted tank back-drained down a CO2 hose, *just* got to it in time at about 3AM, was like 'wtf why are my feet wet?' when I went to get a snack. Second time I was over half way filling our 450L when the base cracked.

And I always spill water on everything. I turned the hose on once and heard helen screaming, apparently I hadn't secured it in the tank very well and the hose went loose and sprayed most of our living room.

Hahaha :lol: :lol: You getting old Mincie, with that memory loss aye 8)

Oh and SpidersWeb I can only imagine the hose snaking around the room.. :lol: :lol:

We have had just under 700 litres through our house, when our 6ft tank blew out in the early hours of the morning... :-? :lol:

My whole linen cupboard was stripped over every single towel..

But it was a case of bugger the floor, grab the fish!

Luckily it was BEFORE we had our new carpet laid..

The tank maker didn't read the new brand silicon instructions properly! :o :lol:

Apparently it was meant to sit for 2 weeks and then water tested... We brought it home and water tested it, that was fine, but the one of the seals let go and YIKES :lol: Glad the noise of the externals running dry woke me up otherwise we would have had a whole heap of dead central americans the next morning to wake up to :o

Wow!

Mine was a bit simpler, the tank weights a lot, I'd say around 150kg and at some stage it appears a tiny stone got under it during transport, which made a chip on the base, when it had about 250L or so in it that little weak spot gave way and its a snowball effect after that, the cracks go right to the edge in all directions and the water drains quicker than you can bucket the water out.

So be careful not to get stuff under it, or at least make sure its always on poly, even when empty.

Afrikan Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 pm Post subject:

Hahaha You getting old Mincie, with that memory loss aye

lol yea the years start catching up on ya when you hit 21 :lol: , more like I smoked to much wacky as a young lad.

seriously though i havent had too bad a floods but have left the hose on a number of times in the last few months, I try to multi task and get distracted easily lol then its out with the towels.

The first flood I had I thought my vacume was a wet and dry but figured out it wasnt rather quick once steam was shooting out the top :o

No im not blonde although i was when I was first born.