plug in RCD's

richms

Just replaced my old lifeguard one since it was starting to make some strange noises.

Anyway, I have tried an arlec and a PDL, but they both have a thing where if the AC drops out, even momenterily, they turn off. Great when there are the number of power glitches there are here on the shore.

Any brands not suffer this? Otherwise I will just swap the outlet out for an RCD one, which I would rather not since they cost a lot.

Aren't they supposed to do that!!!!

When you test an rcd you make sure that it cuts out if the power stops.

My old one didnt, All the test button does is simulate a ground fault.

The ones in powerpoints and in breaker panels dont, I just want a plugin one that does the same thing.

I understood there are two types, one that keep the power on and one that turns it off, since it depends on what application you are using it for. I guess you just have to check the packaging.

I use the hardwired socket one's, I've been meaning to test to see if the come back on with the power but haven't yet. They are a lot cheaper if you can get them at trade price, but the big bonus is that they will protect any sockets down stream, so I now have a number of power points in other places protected by the RCD that I can use to plug in a tempary tank or for running power leads outside.

As an alternative, may i suggest, if you are in a house with MCB not fuses in the main switchboard, to just replace the MCB with an RCBO (or similar). This will protect the whole circuit and not just the one outlet, though as a downside you SHOULD have a registered sparky to install it.

Legally you can replace it yourself if it is you own house that you are residing in (not a rental house you own, with tenants paying rent) but you would want to know what your doing.

Trade prices for them shouldnt be too expensive.

POP there goes my cherry :D

PS should also mention RCBO is a Residual Current circuit Breaker w/ overload. Basically a MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) and an RCD. RCBO is a term used by Merlin Gehrin, other companies use different terms for them

I dont want the whole circuit protected, just the aquarium

If I cant find a plugin one that will ride out the outages then I will get one, otherwise get the powerpoint one.

The arlec rcd only cost $13, its going to find a second home in the garage

Sorry to disagree St Gabrielle unless you can find a plug in RCBO to replace a fuse then legally you are NOT allowed to undertake anywork on a switchboard. Yes a home owner may do work on their own house but they are not allowed to connect anything to the supply.

I stand corrected Sparkypn about the limit of the homeowners work. :bow:

I better go an reread the Electricity Act 1992 section 110 (yes i just did actually do that :P)

I thought that all got replaced when we got the fantastic aussie regs in 2004?