*1000mm x 500mm x 400mm (200 litres) + black stand

*300 Watt Eliet Hagen Heater

*Arcadia T5 light (39W x 4=156W) 6500K T5 Plant Pro bulbs

*Ehiem 2026 Professional 2 canister filter

*JBL Aquabases ground fertiliser

*Dark coloured gravel 2-3mm

*JBL Proflora CO2 injection system with Ehiem regulator

*JBL ProTemp Basis 250

Got the tank started a week ago. Sorry, don't have any photos of the setting up process. Photos were taken with a cheap video camera. Not the best quality. :)

A brief sketch on what I am planning to do with this tank :lol:

photo020.jpg

2 pictures I was inspired by

photo021.jpg

photo022.jpg

The tank at the moment looks very bare, which it is. Awaiting some more plants which will arrive next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

photo014.jpg

photo015.jpg

photo016.jpg

photo017.jpg

The filter, substrate heater, and the cables...

photo018.jpg

photo055.jpg

And I just spotted my tiny Tiger Lotus plant (which Antwan sent me for free :D ) producing another tiny leaf. Thanks Antwan.

photo054.jpg

In the tank there are currently:

2 Apistogramma Huallagas

2 Hatchet Fish

2 Black line flying foxes

6 Cardinals

1 Schwartz Cories

And I am planning to add:

10-14 more Cardinals

5 Otocinclus

2-4 Tri-line torpedo barbs

5 Schwartz cories

3 young wild Cockatoo Dwarf cichlids

1 Flagtail catfish

2 Golden Black-Eyed Ancistrus

Maybe 10 Emperor tetras

Plants to come:

Green Pine, Red Pine, Glosso, Polysperma, Sagittaria Grass

May add:

x1 Aqua UV Sanitizer (11Watts)

Going to take a while to get everything settled. I will keep updating after changes take place. Thanks for looking :bounce:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm..I don't have any cabomba.. :lol: It is Ambulia I think you are talking about. But still Ambulia will win the race. I had some cabomba in my last tank but it grew so much so quickly it was like a pond weed...I liked the thick heavy leaves but they fell off too much and went everywhere. Too hard to root too. :-? So this time I am not getting any. And thanks for the compliment Shiuh. :bounce: I'll keep you updated.

A small update. Just got bored.. More photos but with a digital camera. :wink:

Happy Mr Huallaga

photo006.jpg

photo001.jpg

photo011.jpg

And happy Mrs Huallaga

photo005.jpg

photo008.jpg

photo003.jpg

photo002.jpg

Plants are starting to give off new roots...slowly...

photo007.jpg

And does anyone know the name of the bright green plant in this photo? The one on the right.

photo014-1.jpg

I'll keep updating..

The tank is looking great and can only get better! :D Awesome 8)

And definately what Billaney and Blue have said is a definate.. There was a guy who opened a pet store down here (no longer open) he ordered in a heap of hatchet fish... he put them in the tank with no top and they pinged out like pop corn.. really sad.. he lost over 20 :o:o And they weren't the cheaper variety either, so it was an expensive mistake. And not to mention the poor fish only doing what was natural :-?

Thanks everyone. :D I hope it will get better. I don't see why it should get worse. :lol: And the hatchet fish...yeah I noticed they jumped around a lot..especially when they get frightened by a person walking by. I have had them jump out while feeding as well. So do you think I should get rid of them? They don't seem to actually jump "out" but more on the spot :bounce: And thanks Alan for the plant name. Antwan, so you don't think these guys are Huallagas? They seem a bit differnt to Pebas. More colour around the eyes and fins. But I'm not that sure too. :-? Phil told me that they were Huallagas...

I would certainly look at parting with the Hatchets if you want to keep a lid off the tank, they are pretty good at spotting little insects and moths flying above and it's all over rover :lol: :lol:

haha our oscars do that

Went in to the kitchen because I could hear a banging noise, was the oscars jumping at a moth that'd got trapped under the light!

(and yeah I'd get rid of the hatchets or put glass over your tank, it sucks finding fish on the floor, I've lost a few danios before to small holes in lids)

They could just be nicer pebas' of the brood that he bred. Phil's mix-up was a right pain. I got my 12 apisto's from him and only got 2 individuals of the species I wanted (and even they were labelled incorrectly). But hey, I ended up with some beautiful fish from it, and I'm not complaining. Like I say, I'll get back to you in a few days and can hopefully figure it out. :D

You could always construct some kind of barrier to keep the hatchets corraled in the open top tank but if they get going they really can fly over anything they want.

So, for the most part it looks like you have an amazon theme biotype going? Be careful about what plants you put in the tank, as "stemmy" plants will need constant pruning in a CO2 and high light tank. I'd recommend using some for the background and possibly sides, but use medium height plants for the centre of the tank.

Then again, you might appreciate the value in the cuttings on TradeMe. A very good way to finance the hobby ;)

The hatchet will probably have to go then...they are really striking though in this tank.. :D Will be great if you do that Antwan. And thanks for the tips Blue. Kind of like an amazon biotype. But I am not sticking strickly to this. For example I am planning to invest in getting some Tri-line torperdo barbs. I think they look very nice.

P.S:

I got my CO2 bottle refilled at Nova Fire for $5. I'm planning to use it when all the plants are planted and fish are removed. Don't want algae to get the upper hand and I don't want to risk any fish. :roll: I will start the CO2 at 1 bubble per second. Sounds alright doesn't it? And does anyone know what pH level is okay to start CO2 in? Since the pH and kH will fall.

Lookin' good there Leo, I really like the over tank luminaire - looks great.

What you need in there now are some nice Sag plants... :wink: Have fun planting 'em.

Don't sweat the pH/KH thing too much. Its good to be aware of the possibility of overdosing CO2 and causing swings in pH and all that, but you're not going to wreak havoc with 1 bubble/sec, that's a good starting point. You won't be risking the fish at all; make changes slowly and it'll be sweet.

Looking forward to seeing it grow!