Possible Northland Club (Again!)

skippy

Following on from a thread in the Off Topic section, there seems to be a bit of interest in setting up a Northland Club. Have started this thread and copied a couple of my posts in the Off Topic thread as I figured that anyone interested in a Northland Club is more likely to look in here.

Quote:

There was talk a while back about starting up a Northern club.

I think that may have been me that started that discussion back in July. Ashamed to admit I've done sod all about it. Not enough time, forgot about it, too busy at work, not enough folks around Kerikeri, etc, etc, etc. All lame excuses but actually quite true.

Having said that, looking at the welcome forum there seems to have been a few more from Whangarei signed up, also someone from Mangonui I think, as well as Scuba Sam (who may well fit into the Whangarei or Mangonui categories, I'm going from memory here!) so there may be a few more candidates for a Northern Club. I'm in the same boat as Smidey, would like to be a member of the FNZAS but no local club! and even less Northland Reefers

Without trying to dodge doing anything to help, given that most of the potential members are in Whangarei, it is probably best if someone down there started it up. Can't see too many folks being interested in travelling to Kerikeri to attend meetings except our friend in Mangonui would equally wouldn't be too interested in travelling to Whangarei to attend meetings!

I'm happy to help out if someone wants to kick start it all. If anyone is keen PM me and we'll see where it goes from there (again )

Just had another rummage through old posts and found 8 actual or possible Northland club candidates. Unfortunately I think that they are all (or maybe mostly) freshies but I won't hold that against you

The names I found, their locations and their joinup date below:

Seth - Whangarei - Oct 05

Snowkiwi - Whangarei - Sept 06

Smidey - Whangarei - Jun 06

Skippy - Kerikeri - May 06

Northland Chic - Mangonui - Oct 03

Raven1 - Whangarei - Nov 06

Scuba Sam - Whangarei - Aug 06

SueMack - Whangarei

If anyone knows of others in Northland let me know and we can see if we can get up enough interest to get something happening. It would probably be easiest to PM me and leave an email address as it would be easier to contact folks. If anyone is interested, maybe we can do a BBQ somewhere and talk fish stuff. Happy to have it at my place in Kerikeri but need to check with my wife as to dates.

Lets see if we can get something rock and rolling. Will also post this in the Clubs bit and see if we can find anymore interest out there.

Cheers

Martin (Skippy)

Anyone interested in a Northland Club PM me and we'll see where we go.

Hi Skippy,

I have pm'ed you with a few more details. I would be interested, and if a venue on the north side of town would help we could use my place in Kensington perhaps.

I can think of another Northlander or two so I will see who else I can round up.

Sam

Thanks Sam and Raven

Have also been pm'ed by Smidey who is also keen. Will give it a day or two (say to the weekend) to see if I get any more.

It will be easier to contact everyone by email so if you could pm me your email addresses I can start to set up a bit of a spreadsheet with names and emails and can use that to contact everyone directly at the same time (rather than replying with individual posts to everyone :o ) assuming everyone is happy with this approach of course. Let me know if it is not (you will get everyone elses names and emails)

At this stage will leave ph nos and addresses until everyone is ok with progress, but feel free to pm them to me if you want. I will not send contact details of anyone to anyone else unless you specifically say it is OK, and it won't be on the forum - it will be via email.

We are crawling :hail::hail: next step is standing up :D

Cheers

Martin

(aka Skippy :D )

• 2 weeks later...

Have been pm'ed by a new club candidate -lf - who has just set up a seahorse tank in Whangarei (yay another marine although it is cold water)

Also an Auckland reefer will be coming up here very soon so possibly another member later in the year.

Will start to set up an email contact list and will send out a brief email to all who have contacted me and ask for suggestions for a meeting venuea and what folks would like to do. Have had one offer on the north side of Whangarei already (Kensington from memory)

Will email soon. Anyone that hasn't sent me an email addy please do asap so I don't have to contact folks individually via pm

Cheers

Skippy

Edit: (Sorry just reread the thread and it was Scuba Sam four posts above :oops: )

• 10 months later...

There was a member in Dargaville who went into this in a big way.

She advertised in the shops... supermarkets,... pet shops and so on.. and even got the LFS on Campbell St to support her for meetings and such... but nothing eventuated.

You have to look at the layout up here...

Members live often hours apart, and getting members to agree on a fixed location and time is always going to be hard.

Look at it another way...

If it were arranged down here for us all to meet at the local hall in Phia.. or Manguturoto... or Waipu... would you turn up for say a 7:30pm meeting with little hope of getting home before midnight due to the distance...?

Hope you work it out... they have tried for long enough.... but the nearest one is over the Shore.

Bill

I guess I'm interested because I have met a few people locally through this forum, and they are great, and have managed to swap, trade, buy stuff from them. And get lots of advice. I reckon we could do it through a club format as well. I have a possible meeting place on the north side of town. I know four households who might be up for a meeting, only one other of whom is on here regularly.

Well we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Sam