MH heat

quack

i just setup my new 250w MH hanging above my tank, its about 20cm from the top of the tank.

its heating up the glass lids and the glass center brase quite a lot and was worryed that it might weaken/break the lids/brasing.

is this anything to worry about? what do other people do about this? maybe a little fan running accross the top of the tank?

219572493.jpg

Yes raising it will loose light, but you are losing a ton of light by having the those lids on. I have no lids on my tank, and you will find that most (marine) users of Mh lights dont have lids either.

The other problem you might find is that the water temp will get very high as well, removing the lids allows water to evaparate and will add a lot of cooling to the water.

losing light from the glass lids.. ok so what other alternates are there to glass lids? im not to keen on having no lids, becuase knowing my luck all my fish will jump out :( and also we got quite a few cats that would have the time of there life ontop "fishing"

do you think that removing the lids would make much difference in plant growth? the lids or only 5mm clear? the tank is 250l with 250w MH on top?

theres going to be discus, a few dwaf cichilds, corys, cardinal, and maybe some ottos.

i havent had much luck with my fish not jumping, i have had tanks with lids with only the tinyist gap and had fish jump out :evil:

but if its going to be cutting out to much light then i supose its going to have to be a gamble im gana have to take

first i think ill leave it going for a few hours and keep a close eye on the glass to see how hot it will get, havent had time to do this yet. ive just noticed that it get quite warm in the mater of 10-20min

but other wise ill just lift it a bit

thanks everyone :hail:

It looks like you have the lights high enough, glass doesn't start to weaken until it's far past the point where it will burn you if you touch it. If you leave skin behind when you touch it, it's too hot, if it just hurts you're ok.

nah the silcone would be good for around 100c i would think, its desinged for glazzing glass which will be in the sun all day every day, alot of the glass that its used on outside will be tinted, and that get dam hot :o

ira, i thought that that would be the case. well i still got all my skin so i spose it ok :D