My 4 foot planted tank (progress thread)

Brianemone

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like u shoped around and got the best price on most things Brianemone. did u make that stand urself? why was the tank so expensive?

Yip lots of shopping around. The stand is a steel frame clad in ply and stained, i didnt make the frame but did the rest my self. The tank was expensive as I had it made from diamante glass rather than normal glass, hopefully once its clean and full it will be noticable.

Update with some pics finally

here is the tank on the base in the lounge on the stand with the heating cable under the tank probably not the most effective thing ever but better than nothing.

Heatingcable.jpg

Got dirt?

Daltonsfront.jpg

and some more daltons

Daltons.jpg

put on some reddish/brown grit

Withgritfront.jpg

full of water with some plants floating

floatingplants.jpg

plants in soil front on view

startedfront.jpg

end view

startedfront.jpg

topdown sort of view

startedtop.jpg

i was hoping that was the case but didn't want to be rude :lol:.

I just went to the fish shop and told him i wanted 30$ of plants. I still dont know exactly what look im going for but also because the tank is new i needed something in to stop the algae.

yea it looks great :bow: what fish are you thinking of getting?

Im going to have a school of Cardinals and one or two larger fish (maybe discus maybe some nice apisto or rams. something awesome anyway.

Is that just standard dirt you dug out of the garden or is it specially for fish tanks? Did it not make the water go muddy?

Am wanting to set my tank up properly with plants so just getting ideas

Its a product called Daltons aquatic mix. To stop the water going dirty you need to cover it with something (i used a grit) and fill the water slowly

Thanks David.

The light units not a Tek, Its an Aquamedic. 4x4' t5s

Im not too sure if the light is going to be enough to make an awesome carpet but only time will tell. The water is still a little cloudy (not too much though) so once that cleras up i'll start getting some real plants and i might get some fish later this week.

Does any one have a suggestion on what to use as a water holding solution for My RO water and where to get it??

My water is a little cloudy, i think i can sense a green water issue trying to start but thanks to the UV it hasnt happened yet.

This is a pic as of tonight

Picture030.jpg

Have added some foreground plants to the right hand front corner

Picture031.jpg

Got some ottos

Picture028.jpg

and some neon tetra's for the kids to look at

Picture026.jpg