My nano crashed :(

PENEJANE

Evil I don't really know what went wrong. But it all came at the same time as I cut the mushrooms and added some cats eye snails and a glass shrimp from rock pools. Funny thing is is that the mushrooms died as did all the snails but the glass shrimp is still alive. He has shedded (sp) his shell twice now and is still doing fine. Everything went a very dark black/brown very quickly. I don't know what caused it as such but everything has had a scrub down and refulled with more salt water in hope to save any last critters that are in the rock.

So what caused it I am not to sure if its the toxins that came from cutting the mushrooms, adding new snails or from one snail dying which I didn't know was dead at the time and was left there to long. But it all happened in the same week.

This is why I am looking at the much bigger tank option as it will give me more space when things like this happen. But I can only try.

Here is a pic of the tank that is now inside under the window with full sun on it. Apart from winter if the tank was to recieve light like this often would I still need to run fluros?

Cheers

tankupgrade2.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some mushrooms and some polyps will be OK in there with no light, but go with the floros, trust me! :)

If 4 tubes is to expensive to run use 2.

Try a different take on it. You save money by not using lights. You lose some livestock as a result. You are now poorer would have been cheaper to have the lights.

I have my rock from my crashed tank in the garage in a holding tank ATM and im going to cook them for about 6 months or so and slowly add more and more and more rock to it and VERY slowly gain equipment and eventually start a 4 foot tank or so. No skimping this time!!

bigthumbup.gif

Ok I have set up the new tank. Put rock from other tank in there after a very good scrub and I have noticed this on the glass. I don't know what it is and hoping that someone here can tell me what it is and if its good or bad. Its only about 3-4mm long. Its on the front glass.

Should I keep it or remove it? I would like to know asap so if I need to remove it I can do so while I still know where it is.

Cheers

WTF.jpg

I scraped the glass from last use. :-? I really don't know what it is. In the pic it look like the mouth end is on the left. It hasn't moved yet so I will see where it is tomorrow morning if no luck. If it is a flat worm should I remove it?

Cheers

If it is a flat worm should I remove it?

the answer would be no, as almost all flat worms pose no direct harm to corals unlike nudibranchs. and if the pic shows a flat worm (and i have to agree wiyh ira that it looks like algae) it colour would indicate that it lives within algae and mimics the colour for protection.

Ok here is an update. I got some rock off njd (thanks again) and today we had some sun (finaly) and it was shining into the tank. Seeing all the pink/purple on the rock light up and dance under the ripples of the water looked totaly awesome but I was wondering why some of the coraline algae has died off? Is it the light being to bright or am I to expect some die off being a new tank and all again?

Is there anything I can do to help it grow? I have read on some sites about adding backing soda (don't know how to spell it the other way). With being 60ltrs how much would I add or am I better off not to worry about it for now and leave it for a few more weeks?

Cheers

Jan8.jpg

Also here is a pic of the only dude in the tank. He managed to survive the crash of my last one.

shrimp.jpg

I agree with reef and wasp, you should have at least 2 - 4 thou ready to burn before you start a successful marine. I just added up all my spending in the last 12 months and it came to $ 3100.00 this is for a basic 200 lt four foot tank, no sump. I get great colours with sps and good lps growth but still consider my tank very basic. AND that $ total doesnt include live rock, corals or fish !!! just gear :o

If you cant afford the gear at once just buy it slowly and build it up till you have it all. Then set it up :D

Test kits alone set you back a mint at first :x

Ok I went and got a 500ltr/hr power head today and was wondering how much more filtration will I be needing for 60ltrs? I still have the HOB filter which is 200ltr/hr + the 500ltr/hr. Will I be needing another 500 or a 400? They have variable flow rates so I can lower them. Hoping to get lights sorted in a couple of months.

Cheers.

Normally you will nedd 10+ times turn over an hour, this would mean on a 60ltr setup you will be looking for AT LEAST 600ltrs and hour. i have put the at least in bold becouse this is very low turn over in my opnion.

i have 400ltr display, so on that theroy i would aim for 4000ltrs per hour, currently i have 14000 ltrs per hour, but i am adding another 12000ltrs per hour, the main idea is to keep all the crap suspended in the water colium so the skimmer can grab it and take it out, before it settles on rocks and sand to rot and politute the water. so on that basis each tank is differant as it will be affected by how well the water movement can hold the crap in suspension (ie, number of rocks-posisiton of feeding and power heads etc)

the lower the flow the more crap will be left in you tank to rot and cause algie and geartly affect your water quality.

also i should point out that some speices do not like the high current, but sps do, so i aim for some calm sopts as well as some high flow areas.

(sorry about the spelling :oops: )

:D

ok so if I was to add another 500ltr/hr power head that should be pretty ok for this setup?

Next question would be where do I put them? I have the HOB filter at the back of the tank with the inlet in the over flow and the outlet spraying back into the tank and the power head is at the right hand side of the tank spraying back along the back wall. This is the one area I have trouble with. Where do I put the flow points so I don't end up creating a tornado in my tank?

I have also been told about coke bottle skimmers. How does this work? Can anyone find me a link on how to build one as I am having a hard time finding one on the net myself. Husband wants to have a go at building one for me.

Cheers

I think i read somewhere that you are meant to have one pump at the back pumping to one side, then the other one at the front pumping to the other side, therefore creating a hurricane effect.... Not entirely sure though....

When i had my 30L tank going i had a 1200LPH powerhead, 580 LPH HOB filter and a 300LPH powerhead, just to give you an idea of how much i had :wink:

You also need to think about the type of flow a power head will give you, typically a power head will give you a small jet of water. A wide flow of water is better. It doesn't matter to much where the pumps are but if possible you want them to be a bit random. Before I got my streams I had my pumps on timers all set to different times so that sometimes only one or two would be going other times all of them.

Also you want to aim for atleast 20 times turn over, if you think this is a lot remember how much the water moves in the sea. I have about 35000lph in my 700l display and would be happy to have more.

One thing is that switching pumps on and off reduces the life of the pump.

I find that you get the best random turbulent flow by either having it bouncing off the glass or aimed at each other.

For my mostly SPS tank I have about 70 times turnover. I plan on putting in sand at some stage so can't get much more flow in the tank without a sandstorm :-?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... opic=59497

WOW!! I can't believe the work this guy has done to his tank. Main thing I wanted to point out is the skimmer hes made. As we speak my husband is working on something similar but I think we really need the wood stone as it seems the normal grey air stone bubbles are way to big to get it to work. I don't know if our LFS has the wooden ones (not that I have seen anyway) I was wondering where I could get them online and how much I would be looking at.

Cheers.

Because I don't know where to buy one. Most of the ones that I have seen on the net require pumps for water in and water out. I am wanting to add this to the over flow section of the tank which is why I thought that skimmer stated earlier would work well. Secondly I don't know of anyone that would have one second hand.

Husband is working franticly to get his to work but I don't think it will work untill we get a wooden diffuser for it.

Cheers though Reef.

Ok I got the skimmer (thanks VERY VERY much Reef). Now I don't know if its to tall for my tank or if my air pump is to slow (150lt/hr). It has a small tube up the middle with a bigger one around that with the cup on top. Now sitting in my over flow the water doesn't come up to the inside tube and when I sit it in the actual tank the bubbles are pushed back down into the tank. How is this supposed to sit so I can get it working right.

Cheers.

Ok I got it going now. I added another air pump and its working sweet. Eventually I will get another pump to do it instead of two.

I will look at taking another FTS over the next couple of days to show you all how its going. Starting to see some coraline algae growth which I am buzzing about so hoping that things will go better this time around.

Cheers for all the information so far.