Rena leaking when off

sharn

i was cleaning the discus filter out the other day (rena xp3) and i pumped the hose disconectors to get the siphon going to fill the canister back up afterwards as usual. for some reason once the canister had filled it started leaking down the sides of the canister from where the motor housing clicks onto the media casing holder thingimabob. this has never happened before- normally once it had refilled and was ready to be plugged in again the water flow just stopped going down.

now whenever its turned off it dribbles down the sides which shall be a big problem if the power goes off when im not home, i have put it in a 40L bin for now but it will drain down to the inlet which takes 60L removed to expose. i may raise the inlet up just incase.

any ideas as to what it could be? i have checked the rubber seal and it all looks ok, nothing out of the usual

ill try the cardboard tomorrow and if that doesnt work ill try the vaseline. its not a tiny leak- all four sides have water coming out, i would estimate a litre or two a minute would be trickling out so its a pretty steady stream :cry:

seems wierd its just decided to do this after being fine for four months

yeah, i did that a couple of times and the seals looked fine. i will pull them out and put them back in just incase they have been mushed really far in and have got stuck somehow. i can always buy a new seal and see if i cant fix it, theyre not too expensive

I'd try the vaseline first. The seals are quite tight due to the large contact area and grip of the seal. By putting a thin smear of vaseline on the edge of the plastic and the seal it will slide home more easily and is more likely to make a good seal. Lack of lubrication is possibly what has caused the seal area to compress or stretch so you now have a leak. When I was using canister filters I always put a thin smear of vaseline on the seal area to reduce the force require to refit...

i pulled it apart and the seals look as new, they are only five months old. we didnt have any vaseline (i used it all up when i put some backings on my tanks a while back) so i tried the cardboard under the clamps and its fixed it- thanks quack :hail:

its very easy to push the clamps into the locked position, there was very little resistance so it wasnt very tight so the cardboard does the trick. i will replace it every cleaning so it doesnt compress too much and start leaking again