Banggai Cardinal Fry

hazymranch

So, my wife and I noticed last week that out male Banggai was looking a bit full but hasn't been eating anything for the last several weeks. Upon closer inspection it was pretty clear that he was brooding a few fry in his mouth. Late on Christmas Eve he finally spit them out and the only ones I could find were trapped in the overflow weir and I'm feeling pretty lucky that I managed to find and save at least those two.

I moved the 2 survivors to the refugium where I have been feeding them a steady diet of baby brine shrimp. Anyone have any advice on how to keep them alive? I don't really have the capacity or know-how to set up phytoplankton or zooplankton cultures or even to enrich the brine shrimp but am willing to give it a go if it isn't incredibly involved.

I would be beyond pleased if I could actually raise these to the point where I could release them back into the main tank.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good. They are growing steadily on the baby brine shrimp and on the BBS off days they get a granular fry food that the LFS gave me. Surprisingly, they eat it so I have hope of weaning them off of live food in a few weeks. One is a fair bit larger than the other so I am getting a little concerned about the runt's chances of survival.

The glass in the 'fuge is filthy, but I will try to get a pic or two.