New mce300 skimmers....

evilknieval69

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked my LFS and the full retail price offered there is $419.90. Maybe you North Island guys might want to try contacting my LFS for top of the line hardware, e.g. Tunze, Deltec, etc...

The funny thing is that it appears as though he can beat the Auckland prices even after including shipping costs both ways! :o :-?

BTW, this is also the FULL RETAIL price that he offers. If you are a "regular" customer and buying a few more "bits and pieces" the price would even be better.

I guess this is an instance where supporting your LFS not only supports the hobby, but ALSO provides the reefer a better deal.

they RETAIL for 138 pounds in the UK so thats a gauge to go on?

This statement doesn't really mean much as a simple comparison of exchange rates is a terrible indicator of price in one's own country. It has also been shown in economic experiments that Purchasing Power Parity does not hold.

Reef is suggesting that the RRP on these skimmers is $520

What does that have to do with prices offered in shops? There could be all kinds of strategies behind simply throwing out a number like this. The only thing that matters is the quote offered to you by your shop, i.e. the price you have to pay.

Unfortunately in this particular case, you paid more for the unit than you had to. Not only that, but the shop lost the sale/support and we ALL lost the positive externality.

Lets cut the garbage here, its quite clear theres a lot more than just a general interest for you joe in this. Im happy with the price i paid with the pricing i did. If your unhappy with the local reef community looking at other options, try telling your "LFS" that competition is healthy for all of us.

My LFS indicated to me that they were going to be over $500 easily so if you can get one for that price grab it with both hands. Will be interested to hear how you get on :)

The point of this discussion isn't really a matter of getting a bargain, but rather supporting the LFS in order to ensure that our hobby is sustainable and grows. In your case, I am glad to hear that you at least went to your LFS to check the price before buying direct (or in this case, semi-direct).

Don’t get me wrong, I am completely supportive of getting the best deal. However, I get the feeling from reading posts over the last few months (possibly even longer) that the general public opinion is that shops can't compete, and thus creating a social norm of not even giving them a chance before we make our purchases direct. If we don’t even check with the LFS before making our purchases, why would they continue to provide a marine section? If they don’t provide a marine section, how are we going to attract new people into the hobby? If we don’t attract new people into the hobby, then we are already at out upper bound and the only directly is down.

This is exactly the way things seem to be headed in Auckland. It has been mentioned more than a couple times that some of the LFS up there are already considering pulling their marine sections. I don’t know about you guys, but I would be bummed without my LFS. Listen to all the guys in Wellington. I've read statements made by some of them many times that it sucks not having a LFS. It could be that way for us all.

Just something to think about.

It would be interesting to take a poll to see how people actually made it into this hobby. I personally walked into my LFS to look at buying some freshwater setup and saw the sweet colors of the marine section. If they didn't have a marine section, I most likely wouldn't be keeping marines today.

Lets cut the garbage here, its quite clear theres a lot more than just a general interest for you joe in this. Im happy with the price i paid with the pricing i did. If your unhappy with the local reef community looking at other options, try telling your "LFS" that competition is healthy for all of us.

Hey take it easy. I'm have no personal interest in this at all except to try to help the hobby and YOU! If you feel like paying more, then so be it.

My LFS is obvious very well clued into competition since he has the lowest prices. Maybe you could take a lesson into the benefits of competition. Hmmm...???

we need another one in the deep south ,after spending thousands at mine still no deals the discount is added on then taken of ,example eheim 1260 pump $403, your price for spending all that money with me $379 ,pet planet is $299.95 freight the same ,some of them need to wake up and start giving the right advice for a start , to small tanks, canister filters , :evil: crap lights etc