Fire Bellied Newt vs Turtle

shauntilyard

I just can't decide. They both cost around about the same from the start off and they are both just as cool as the other.

If only ic ould get both :D

HELP!!!!!!!!

I just cant decide, the tank could go either way.

How would both go in the same tank. :-?

Help me please.

Your thoughts

to start off would be around the same but turtles would most definitely be more expensive to keep. rather than telling u how cool both are i'll tell u what to expect and what u would be getting ur self in to.

both turtles and newts are very long life span so it s very long term commitment. newts 6-10 years for most but if cared properly 30years is not uncommon. turtle 40 - 45 years for most but my friend has a pair over 70 hitting 80 years, passed down from his grandparents.

turtles grow quickly and before u know it a 5 foot tank just makes the cut. turtles eat a lot and can get pricey just like any large animal. my two large turtles cost around $25 to feed per week during summer. [i am sure most ppl would spend more than that]they're very messy to a point some ppl take them out to another tank while feeding. more mess means u need a bigger filter......$$

newts can quit happily live in a 2-3 foot tank all their lives. they're just as pricey to feed. they need to be keep in a more constant temperature of around 20 degrees. they're not considered as tropical as many may think. they like nice calm water so air powered filter is ideal so would need to be clean a lot more often. they enjoy plants so u would need to take care of plants too, over all high maintenance.

if u put both in the same tank u would end up with a happy turtle with a full stomach. :D

this is just my own personal opinion from keeping both of these myself.

I agree with the last post - my newts are quite cheap to feed. I have a white worm culture which is pretty cheap to keep. I also have a can of reptomin pellets which are for newts too, they were only about $10.00 and will last for a long time. Plus they can have blood worms etc. If you have live food for other fish then its not much of a stretch to feed the newts as well. Plus the tank doesn't need heating or special vitamin D lights either so I would think newts are cheaper. They have gone down alot in price also - around $50.00 ea in Auckland pet stores (they used to be $100.00 a couple of years ago).

Turtles are cool too though! :-? :)

Hey thanks for everyones help.

I have read conflicting info about what temp they need to be keepde at. Some people say the need a heater around about 22C others say that they are fine with no heat.

Can you tell me how your tanks are set up just so i can get some ideas for mine. I have sorted out t the tanks with a wet and dry area.

Any help is greatly apreciated.

My tank has two thirds water and the land area is large rocks piled up to jut out of the water. I have some java moss floating in the corner and silk lillies floating in the water which my newts adore! One lily is red and they seem to be really attracted to the colour! I have 4 sunburst mountain minnows in the water section and they don't harrass the newts or vice versa - the minnows actually breed in there! My newts are chinese and about a year old so they don't go in the water alot at the moment. The tank has no heating, an undergravel filter and a flourescent light (an aquaone 320 tank). The tank will probably get upsized in the near future when they grow more :)

Mel1708 said

I have 4 sunburst mountain minnows in the water section and they don't harrass the newts or vice versa - the minnows actually breed in there!

do u have a pic of these sunburst mountain minnows? or a link to what they look like. i am always on the look out for fancy WCMM.

My newts are chinese and about a year old so they don't go in the water alot at the moment. The tank has no heating, an undergravel filter and a flourescent light (an aquaone 320 tank). The tank will probably get upsized in the near future when they grow more :)

Hey thanks Mel1708 i was lead to believe that newts needed water temp around about 20C and i have always tried to figure out why young newts never go in the water. Do you know why or is just something that they just dont do.

Cheers

I have no heater in the tank because I found most articles I read on the net said they needed cool tanks ie. not freezing but not heated either. My tanks are in my room so the temperature stays between 15 and 20 degrees, they seem happy :)

I think they don't go in the water much as juveniles but as adults they tend to live in the water more?! Not sure why, I think some newts also just develop a preference for land or water. Mine don't even like splashes of water on their skin at the moment but when I first got them they had just morphed and hardly came out of the water! I do know you are supposed to keep the water pretty clean they don't like it dirty.

I think this site gives the best information on housing and natural habitats:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynop ... alis.shtml