Filter for African Cichlids

Jasmine

What sort of filter would be the best for a 140 x 49 x 41cm tank which will hold African Cichlids (haven't quite decided which yet. LOL). I'm just building up my tank bit by bit. Hoping to get this tank, and my grandad's going to make me a custom cabinet for it. So the next step would be heaters/filter/light. Something fairly cheapish preferably, be nice if I could spend $150 or less, but willing to spend more if need be. I'm not certain how much the filter would cost you see, so that's my price I've just put on for a general idea.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, what sort of filters are they exactly? I had a much smaller tropical tank before and we went from a filter in the water, to a waterfall. I've heard of cannister filters too. What type would I need?

I'll have a look at the one you mentioned :)

Oops, had added one more 0 on my measurement there by mistake, good to know you picked up what I meant!

You guys are so quick and helpful to reply, wish I'd come here sooner, rather than learning trial and error with my tropical tank. I just want to get things right this time, since I'm putting much more money into it.

What type do you recommend? In water or canister (I'm assuming the canister ones go on the outside with hoses in and out of the tank?)?

What do you guys think of the metal heaters, the ones which are meant to be hard to break?

Ok awesome, my mother was trying to discourage me from canisters as she said they were difficult to look after, and one thing wrong and bye bye fish or something. No idea what she was talking about really. I was asking what they had at the pet store she currently works at (staff discount) but unfortunately they don't have much for tropicals, they only have a few things, and a goldfish display tank there.

I thought two heaters would be better to distribute the heat evenly? As heard with one heater in a large tank the outer reaches would be colder or something? That was my reasoning anyway.

My trial and error was real trial and error. Hahaha. I've owned tropicals for a few years so hopefully not completely hopeless. I sold my community tank recently though (just kept one male betta I bred and can't part with who has his own tank!) after seeing some of the African Cichlids and wanting to have a tank because of all the colours and the size of the fishies! Still unsure exactly which type I want yet tho...any helpful tips on what might be better? ;)

Definately go with cannisters if you can, great filtration, Jebo are good enough but if you are able to spend a little more I would go Aqua One of Fluval, we have Jebo, Aqua One and Fluval, and the latter 2 would be my choice above Jebo anyday. When it comes to heaters, we stick with Jagar and Aqua One.

As much filtration as you can with Africans :D

Mekhaela :D

Thanks, that's what I thought about the heaters, so you think two 200 watt heaters should do it?

What's your views on canister filters? Pros/cons? It seems everyone's got different opinions on the brands to use :lol:

I think I'm preferring the Malawis over the Tanganyika. Seems to be more range of brighter colours. That's just from what I've looked up though. I read there's two sorts, rock-dwellers and...non rock dwellers. LOL. Are you able to have a mixed tank of the two, if you allow areas for the two as needed (rocks for rock dwellers, and open spaces for the other)? Or is this not a good idea?

2 200's will be sweet you generally go for 1W per litre but its good to have 2 that will do it individually in a bigger tank so that if one gives up the other will carry on until you can fix it..

External filters are the best the only thing really to use (except a sump) on a bigger tank.. As for brand just keep an eye out and try for yourself if your only wanting to spend $150 you will probably be limited to aqua one or jebo of the 2 id go for Jebo..

As for malawi's most of them are rock dwellers and its a good idea to have alot of rocks and also open space it can be hard getting a good compatible stocking list, generally try and get fish that are different colours as the same coloured males will scrap with each other..

I dont really know what your talking about when you talk about rock dwelling and non rock dwelling malawi's as such ive never really heard them described like that.. Where did you get your info from and what fish were they describing? Some of them do like to school in the open and some of them do like rocks but ive never really heard them divided like that..

Oh, I've read a few websites, describing them as Mbuna, and non-Mbuna, or Haps, or something. Here was one of the articles I saw: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/haps_vs_mbuna.php and silly me, I just read the article thoroughly and saw it said:

Haps and Mbuna can be mixed; just understand the needs and tendencies of each and match them accordingly.

ah I see :) I forgot that mbuna meant rock dwelling :oops: What a dumb ass..

There are the peacocks the haps and the mbuna, I have all 3 and some tangs in my tank but people dont recommend putting peacocks in with mbuna as they're suppose to be too aggressive and pester the peacocks too much if anything my peacocks are beating up the mbuna at the moment but my peacocks are bigger than them..

Definately different ideas on brands, comes down to personal experience with each brand and preference :D

In our Malawi tank, we have Peacocks, Ahli, Electric Yellows and Johanni, they all get on surprisingly well, Peacocks were a bit scrappy but the display boys I have are girless now so things are rather harmonious :lol:

I had jebo heaters for years, and despite everybody saying they were crap, i still used them and found them to be fine, but then they all crapped out, and i am now one of those people who say they are crap :lol: You can buy Aqua one cf1200's on trademe for about $140, or a jebao 1200 LPH canister for around that aswel....

IMO go jager for the heater.... yes costs a little more but will last for years & years longer than the cheapies.. heres a link to a new one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-80132100.htm

i use the 150watt model in my 300l tank and it does the job easy

filter wise if your still to get the tank why dont you go sump filter... much better and then you can hide all the heaters e.t.c in the sump .... just buy a cheap 2ft tank off trademe and get a bit of glass cut from a glass shop(cheap as) to glue in as baffes then get a cheap pump of trademe then add some bio media and youve got a good filter for under $150.... i did a friend one like this for under $100 and its doing a 360l tank with easy.... thats my 2 cents worth :D

How would you go about creating a sump? Is it noisy (as the tank will be in the lounge)? I can get tanks no prob (though I did just sell all three of mine!). I am getting a cabinet made, so could probably hide the sump in there? What's the benefits of a sump vs a canister? Aside from the fact that heaters can go in. What sort of filter would I need then and would I only need one heater? What are baffes?

Sumps are better, there are pros & cons.

What I would suggest is that you go for a canister filter & an internal filter. An internal will help with circulation & is a better option with airation too. This way you also have a back up, if ... forbid a filter stops, just like the 2 heater suggestion.

Also what it also means is that you can load the canister with biological material & one layer of coarse foam. Why? bacteria growth is optimal, & cleaning the canister then becomes a far less frequent job. Bonus! 8) The internal should pic up most of the finer material & as they are easier to clean, who cares if you only have to rinse out a sponge once every week or two.

A tank that size will only need 2x 150W heaters. Because of circulation, 2 heaters make no difference in a tank that size. 2 heaters are just a safer option. Just incase one sticks or blows. If a lower voltage heater sticks on, it should take a few hours to heat the water to a dangerous level. If one blows, the other will cover & give enough heat till a new one is bought. {Thats why people should never go for a to high a wattage heater, cooking fish happens} 1W per litre is usually the rule.

As for mixing cichlids, I would suss out what you like for a start first, then ask here. Try & resist the urge to impulse buy, that can be a big mistake when buying cichlids. Research goes along way & judging by the posts here over the years there are alot of lfs staff that have little to no idea about cichlids. People like Ryan, Brad, Mystic, Caryl & myself can point out what we think will go with what & we will take into account the size of your tank to. Some lfs are fuelled by greed :o {I know hard to believe}& may mislead you. Sorry I can't recommend what lfs to see, wrong country for a start :lol:

As for brands on equipment, well as stated earlier everyone has there views. From working in lfs's & by going by complaints, returns...

If you can go for an ehiem or fluval as a canister, these are a great option, reliable, water in these tends to go throught the media & not round the sides.....& also these 2 brands hardly ever came back.

Heaters, well these can vary alot. One thing I have noticed, the thicker the make of heater the better. Jager's & the like. The skinny brand of heaters are cheaper made. Therefore not as reliable{IMO} I have had a few which were good for a year at best.

For Internals, well Sonpars are my faviourite. Great value for money. Work really well, come with seperate cartridges....{Don't know if these are available over yonder}

One more thing, what you are keeping is the water more than the fish. Can you get you ph, gh & kh tested. Cheers. What you need is a stable ph on the alkaline side.

Hope this helps.

Frenchy :D

Thanks for the info! Certainly a lot to take in. I should be picking up the tank soon. So will have a look around for filters/heaters etc :)

Yes, Jansens tests all those for like $5. Though I could probably buy the test kits seperately. I do have a PH test kit already.

Hey i have a slightly smaller cichlid tank and I have an Aquaone on it And it does a great job! And they are nice and quite. The good thing about a canister is that it doesnt take up room and look ugly inside the tank. I put my AquaOnes spray bar up near the top and find that it provides heaps of circulation and areation. I also run an aquaone in my community tank and actually had a problem with the circulation being so much it was uprootiing my plants, but thats all sorted now.

I have Mbunas and Haps together, I got them all as babies and at the same time and have no problems, so i guess it can depend on the fish.

Next you start thinking about substrate and PH buffers! :D

Good Luck thay are great fun

Set up right the canisters do run well & will airate the tank as mentioned above. Relying on just one filter IMO is a risk.

We just had a post on a forum over here of a guy losing a colony of frontosa. What happened was that the high quality suction caps that come with fish products, had given way. The spray bar slipped under the water level. No airation of the water during the day was enough to killl his fish.

I came home yesterday to find my entire colony of Frontosa dead, along with miscellaneous others. I'd grown these guys up for 2.5 years, they were the pick of 20 juveniles, from 4 different bloodlines, and I was just getting the first mouthfulls.

Unfortunately, the outlet of the secondary filter, a fluval cannister, fell off its suction cup and didnt break the surface of the water, so the poor fellas ran out of oxygen

Frenchy :D

Oh that must have been devastating :( Poor guy and Frontosas..

We always like the idea of 2 filters aswell, our African tanks are big tanks, so we run two cannister filters, and with the Malawi we have a powerhead in the tank, breaking the surface. That is one fear we have always had, spray bars dropping under the surface... so yeah, pays to have back up of some sort.