bad day

Tom_Shannon

hey all about a week ago my damsel had white spot because of the marroon clow whel he got ova it but got it again then gave it to the black capes so today they all died so its just the marroon clown

so my question is what are good fish that will go with her shes quite big going up to auckland on sunday with the fish club so have to spend some money

if you can help it don't buy any fish for a few month, the white spot should have died out by then. otherwise the new comers will get infected as well and go down the same road (white spot and most likely death) or tread the tank (if no inverts). also get a real bully that will show mrs maroon where to go (but i can't really think of any fish to do that :-? not even a dottyback will do)

Hi Tom

Do a search on this site or one of main overseas marine sites on Marine ich/white spot/cryptocaryon irritans and have a read up. Leaving your tank empty of fish for at east 6 weeks is the only real 'treatment'. All the rest are a lot of effort with varying degrees of effectiveness.

If the clown is not sick leave the tank alone. Nothing upsets a marine tank like copper treatments.

If it is a big maroon clown then it could be trouble. They can be very aggressive.

I would hold off adding any other fish for awhile. Make sure all your water parameters are good.

I would invest in a good UV unit. It will improve water conditions, help eliminate whitespot (done the job in two different tanks for me). Saved me a Powder Blue and a Purple Tang.

re Copper...

from my reading on copper and white spot treatment... if you treat with copper, the coral/rock will absorb the copper, and will release at any stage in the future, meaning, if you ever have any kind of live corals, they may die over night from the release of the copper.

If you want to treat, then i would use a qt tank. But, from my limited experience, with the right water condition, and good feeding, this is a better way than a chemical intervention.

mj

i was reading in a book that for disease organisms that have a free-swimming stage, souch as gill and sikn flukes, marin velvet or white spot disease, the use of a diatom filter can prove to be helpful, especially in a reef aquarium. this is because at the free swimming stages the disease can be filtered out of the water.

what dose everyone think of that i have a diatom filter so it should work shouldent it saves using harmfull chemicals

what dose everyone think of that i have a diatom filter so it should work shouldent it saves using harmfull chemicals

True, uv would also work. Remember that it would not get it all out, so it may still prove to be a problem