fish food for faster,bigger growth

bulldogod

What type of fish do you have??

I give my fish alot of live food and frozen bloodworms etc as well as lots of dried foods. I try to give them something different every night :)

I have -

frozen blood worms

frozen daphnia (sp?)

frozen brine shrimp

two different types of flakes

colour bits

novo bits

freeze dried tubifex worms

freeze dried blood worms

freeze dried daphnia

zucchini for the bottem feeders

and spiralina tablets too

I think thats about it ???

Oh and live white worms

Microworms

and live daphnia when I have it

and they would apreciate a variety of food i'm sure, mine sure do :)

Anything above 45% is good, theres some foods that are 50%+ but not many.
Wow that is excessively high :o Did you note that there were a couple of species of mbuna mentioned?

Also bulldogod stay away from blood worms too.

The most important thing is space & clean water. The lower the levels on nitrate the better the growth of fish. Just a mixture of pellets, flake, mysis shrimp will keep them happy. Over feeding mbuna is very easy to do & can cause severe problems. As can high protein foods.

Frenchy :D

This works for me and it should for others as well.

Take a length of nylon line (5lb Breaking strain) and a couple of small hooks, and a bit of bait, and head of down to the wharf or boat harbour.

Dont forget to "Take a Kid Fishing" as well, and catch a few herrings. :lol:

Take them home and clean them up and place in the microwave and cook them. :wink:

Let them cool and break them up over the tank/s and watch the feeding frenzy.

:hail:

A very old saying in the "Fish Fraternity" is WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!!!!!

They are good and they are bad. We had a discussion on it. do a search to find.

I think this comment is good and very pertinent in your case

"To feed fish properly in captivity it is impotant to be aware of the natural diet & feeding habits of the species concerned."

This extract comes from an article written by Kjell Fohrman, from the book called "Enjoying Cichlids" Ad Konnings{Editor}

Red mosquito larvae, one of the most popular frozen foods, are very bad and should not be fed to fishes. These are larvae found in the mud of stagnant pools & feed from the mud, including when this contains chemicals which are toxic to some fishies, especially to Malawi & Tanganyika cichlids. More over red mosquito larvae induce allergic reactions in about 30% of persons coming into contact with them{Liebers,1991}

Me I prefer not to take the risk when you consider all the feeding options out there.

I have seen the rash too a few people have got from handling blood worms too.

HFF- this applies to africans only right? i have read that bloodworms are bad for some species of apistos also, is it purely to do with the toxins or is it to do with protein levels etc?

bloodworms are in all my fishies diets but i dont own any africans :lol:

Thats a good little read Ryan,

Algae is a vital component of the ecosystem in natural fresh water environments. It makes sense that it should have a place in an artificial FW environment like an aquarium too.

Fry and larger fish feed on the so-called Aufwuchs not just for its itself but also because of the myriad micro-organisms that live in there. If you looked at a clump of algae under a low power microscope you would see that it is a jungle swarming with cyclops, copepods, dinoflagellates, and all sorts of microscopic goodies for the fish to snack on.

I have read something similar to this before. Part of classification, studying new species....fish are dissected to see what makes them tick. The contents of the stomach is one thing that is checked. That is why people like Ad Konnings release books with information on feeding habits, what to feed....& obviously there information is well sourced. My fry get spirulina flake, frozen cyclops & baby brine occasionally. Makes sense to about the algae growth rates, it is what they eat in the wild, who cares if a fry tank looks beautiful & clean. As long as the water is.

HFF- this applies to africans only right? i have read that bloodworms are bad for some species of apistos also, is it purely to do with the toxins or is it to do with protein levels etc?

Well it does say,

should not be fed to fishes
They mean all, as mentioned next

this contains chemicals which are toxic to some fishies, especially to Malawi & Tanganyika cichlids.
This is a seperate comment, some fish species are more susceptible to toxins, diseases than others.

&

allergic reactions in about 30% of persons
would worry me a bit too.

Once upon a time I was having the odd unexplained death & it bugged me to no end. My lfs guy asked about the fishies diet, he should me his arms & the rash caused by bloodworms. I did some research. Took bloodworms out of the diet. Been all good on the unexplained for years.{touch wood}

lol and to think my last weeks mission has been to take all my fry tanks down clean them all up and then mask them all from the sunlight with poly to stop the algae :) Just so they would be clean like everyone elses fry tanks!

I used to just clean the front glass and do daily water changes but now ive got bristlenoses in every tank and got them clean as might have to let some light back in..

I feed all our africans, duckweed, they love it and clean up a hand full in a couple of mins, even have some in the fry tanks and although they to small to eat the big bits, it never speads so they must be eating all the little plantlets that grow, i try feed them as much vegetable matter as i can, just made up some last night that just had carrot, zuchhini, peas and a touch of garlic, and a couple of prawns, plended up and they go absolutly crazy over it, diffently will be doing that more often than trying to feed them processed foods 3 times a day. If anyone wants some duckweed just send me a pm, it's growing out of my ears.

Having a dirty fry tank is not a good idea IMHO.

It depends on individuals interpretations of cause - what is clean or dirty.

If you have bacteria/fungus build up in your tank you can start to loose fry very very quickly.

All my fry tanks are very clean and water is clear but not spotless by my standards (( but maybe by others )).

I have learnt some hard lessons over the years that I really don't want to repeat. Even just last year and I'm still quitly p....d about it.

This does not include algae as it will not harm my fry ( as long as it does not get out of control and catch dirt ), indeed they eat it, I mean dirt = uneaten food, bad water and excrement.

I also have workers in my fry tanks baby B/N and baby bronze corys they help me to keep the tanks clean.

The down size is I have alot of bronze corys, The up side is when they breed and I don't collect the eggs theres plenty of excitment in the tanks, fish love live food. :o