YEAST OR SODASTREAM

PETEYPLECO

Hey

I used a nutrafin system for a little while which uses little sachets that come with the product which contain the apropriate ingrediants... All you need to do is add water and sugar. i found the system pretty good.

Now i have a sodastream bottle with regulator bought off toolsonline on trademe for $75. I havent been using it much as im still getting over green water (*&%$^) I find it sort of hard to get a steady bubble rate though. You need a needle valve if you use this reg as the adjuster on it is not fine enought to adjust the bubble rate adequately... The bubble rate also slows with the pressure in the bottle so it needs constant adjustment (every week or so)

IMO it is best to go for a proper system (bigger bottle, proper regulator with gauges, solenoid etc.) as it is much easier, and cheaper in the long run to use. The only problem is the initial cost....

HTH

Hey,

Was using DIY yeast+sugar, was great initially till I had two accidents (spilled all over carpet and floor), got pretty annoyed with it. Furthermore it's hard to regulate the amount of CO2 I need for my tank. But it's super cheap though, only problem is that I have a 400 L tank and I make up 2-3 bottles each time. In the end I went for the cylinder+regular+needle valve and the works.

Had it for 3 weeks now and my plants are doing great, better than DIY in my opinion. Hassle free and all I do is switch it off at night before I go to sleep (have not gotten round to get a solenoid yet).

Regulator and needle valve=$220 (Bought it from Australia by SERA)

Cylinder 1.8 kg + diffuser (courtesy of blueandkim)=$220

Fill up the bottle = $12 (duration ???)

Since u r in Auckland, u should just shop around, my mates tell me that they could get cylinder for a good deal. Hope that helps.

i've used both DIY yeast system and soda stream.

DIY system

yeast = $8

air tube = $2/m

air stone or proper diffuser = $0.40 to $80

warm water

sugar

2.25 coke bottle

i find it pretty useless as it is only consistent for the first two days and u need to keep shaking the bottle after that and only last about a week or so. very cheap option but not a great result although u do see some different with the plants.

soda stream

bottle small to large = $10 = $100 [price from second hand to brand new big bottle]

regulator = $75

needle valve = $10 - $25

diffuser = $40+

air hose = $2/m - $20/m

this is pretty good system but still some hassle of getting the regulator on every time u fill the bottle up as u will loose some CO2 as ur doing this. best thing about this is the large bottles i used 850g+ which is bigger than any bottle made for a aquarium co2 system

i've just now bought a proper system costing around $300 all up and is by far the most hassle free and reliable system.

no i mean a proper system made for aquarium plant keeping. my set up is Eheim pressure regulator with manometer, fine control needle valve, bottle and glass coil diffuser.

For 300 bucks?? Did you get it brand new?? Thats an awesome price for that setup. I was looking at one that was ~$700 today.

For 300 bucks?? Did you get it brand new?? Thats an awesome price for that setup. I was looking at one that was ~$700 today.

yeah it was a pretty sweet deal, its all brand new but second hand as the guy ran in to some financial problem right after he bought the set up and needed the money. :D cost him close to $800 but u can pick second hand ones up for around $200 on trademe.

yeah it was a pretty sweet deal, its all brand new but second hand as the guy ran in to some financial problem right after he bought the set up and needed the money. :D cost him close to $800 but u can pick second hand ones up for around $200 on trademe.

like this one here. somebody quick!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 295907.htm

Looks like I'll go for a sodastream bottle, reg', needle valve, gravel vac and power head system.

Just gotta wait for a bottle to come up on trade me at the right price and I'm in !

Will go source all other items once I have the bottle in hand so I know what size fitting to get etc.

WATCH OUT I GOT TRIFFIDS !

Looks like I'll go for a sodastream bottle, reg', needle valve, gravel vac and power head system.

Just gotta wait for a bottle to come up on trade me at the right price and I'm in !

Will go source all other items once I have the bottle in hand so I know what size fitting to get etc.

doesnt get much cheaper than this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Ki ... 754942.htm