Ahh tank just gonre green!!!

shauntilyard

this is a strange solution, but that happened to my tank a while back, and i tried all sorts to fix it, in the end i got a load of daphnea from the lfs, put them in a net in my tank, and within a couple of days the water was clear - then my fishies enjoyed a feast! Im not sure if it was the daphnia that ate all the alge, or it just went away by itself, but if nothing else works it could be a cheep alternative to try :)

I have had green water in my 250L planted tank 3 different times now, And i have no idea why. I only have 80W of light on the tank ATM, and the plants are growing like crazy, but it keeps coming back...The only way i could get rid of it was to wait, and do water changes as i usualy would.

ALOT of people say that water changes just feeds the algae more because it is putting fresh oxygenated water into the tank and the algae will thrive off this, but i swear by this way, as it has always worked for me.

I have never tried daphnia (because i have never been able to get them) and i havent tried a UV steriliser (too many $$ :lol: ) Im sure both of these will work well, but i am happy to wait it out....

Thats my thoughts :D

When I had access to heaps of daphnia I used them successfully by loading in more than the fish can eat. You have to be careful about the bio load from dead ones and excrement though. The idea of putting some into a net so the fish can't eat them is a great idea as they can filter a lot of water provided they don't get eaten.

Check your electrical connections, it may not be but the possibility exists. Turned out an annoying algal blooms in one of the large tanks was a filter with a broken end, so perfectly broken that you could not see the break unless it was out of the water. Not enough current to bother the fish or me, but enough to send algae into nuclear overdrive.

does the sun catch your tank? is it near a window? that can do it? there maybe certain times ofthe year when it`s directly shining on it...

Put some dark card or something around where the sun catches it...

If it isn`t, try putting willow sticks in the substrate, when they root, they absorb the algae out of the water...

saves messing with chemicals or upsetting water perameters...

just a thought..

PJ.

If it isn`t, try putting willow sticks in the substrate, when they root, they absorb the algae out of the water...

saves messing with chemicals or upsetting water perameters...

I tried that - no how do I cut the willow tree down that is growing in there? :bounce:

I had a similar problem in my discus tank a year ago, and I changed the water daily for two weeks to no avail.

I purchased some Älgae Fix" from the LFS, after one application the change was almost immediate. I have not had an occurance since then.

The tank had been set up for about 6 months, and the water was so green I could not see the back of the tank.

Good Luck