Betta Simorum - Simor Fighter

ljtan55

Just got 2 of these bettas, was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them. They're in quarantine at the moment, and just wondering if they should be in a species tank or in by themselves, or whether they'll be ok in a discus tank?

By chance anyone know how to sex them? They're supposed to be males, but I have some doubts.

Just an update on the simorums, their in their own tank, and settling in just fine. They were really shy at first, but now they're all over the place. They look much different now, since their in their own tank, noticing things about them I hadn't noticed before. Still trying to dig up more info on them tho. Thinking about putting my queen arab plecos in with them. I'm beginning to think I might have a pair, noticing subtle differences in the two of them, but not 100%.

simorums1.jpg

Two of them in their new home - 60L low light planted tank with anubiases, java ferns and moss. pH6.0, with 28 degrees celsius. With eheim aquaball 2010. Lots of current, and they seem to love it. They're ignoring all flake and pellet food, but going to town on bloodworms. Looks like they're gonna be picky eaters. They both love the hiding places, bamboo caves and driftwood is definately a must, cos they were miserable in the quarantine tank (only gravel)

simorum3.jpg

Ya can see the current doesn't bother them from this pic. They like hanging around the outlet. Anyways theres a stripey one with a big tummy, and a more streamlined one. Don't know if thats one of the differences between the sexes, anyone know if thats the case for other bettas?

Anyhoo, heres one of them

simorum5.jpg

And the other one

simorum4.jpg

And another one

simorum2.jpg

Ya can see the differences between the tummies, dunno if thats significant or not.

Anyways, still out for more info on them, if anyone has them or knows anything about them, I'd love to pick your brains. Queen arabesques plecos might go in this weekend just to see if they can handle flatmates :D

Looks like they may prefer live food.

Try them on mossie larvae and also white worms, flies are also starting to appear, and they'd munch down on them too.

If they are a pair, they should start getting that happy look in their eyes on that diet.

Alan 104

• 2 years later...

I don't know anything about these fish, but just wanted to say good on you for quarantining them! :bow:

Most people don't, but it saves so much hassle and stress. Even if fish come from an apparently healthy tank owned by a friend, quarantine should always be recommended.

(yes I do realise it was posted two years ago, but it is still a valid point, and like everyone else, well done on keeping them so long!)

lol yeah a VERY happy chappy!! The parents have done well considering they have survived 3 house moves, 2 failed filter incidences including an electrical fault sending current into the water for 2 days... :) will post some pics some time of the babies if they hold still enough