redness in gills

K R Brown

agreed about substrate.

how thick is it and what is it (gravel, sand etc)? if you disturb it is it black underneath and let out bubbles? i have read of certain bacterias living in the substrate which only effect the feeders that spend most of their time down there but i cant remember specifics sorry.

is it possible your substrate is sharp and when theyre sifting thru it (if its small enough of course) it could be irritating their gills?

are they flashing etc on any objects? if so that would most likely be gill flukes but it is wierd its only effecting the bottom feeders :-?

id give the substrate a good vacumn and see if that helps

He/she sent me a PM Sharn. The tank has only been set up a week but a matured filter was used plus some water from previous tank.

Clown loaches need a mature tank vtec8u and I suspect the kuhlis do too. Any possibility you can return all these fish until the tank matures some more?

agreed about substrate.

how thick is it and what is it (gravel, sand etc)? if you disturb it is it black underneath and let out bubbles? i have read of certain bacterias living in the substrate which only effect the feeders that spend most of their time down there but i cant remember specifics sorry.

is it possible your substrate is sharp and when theyre sifting thru it (if its small enough of course) it could be irritating their gills?

are they flashing etc on any objects? if so that would most likely be gill flukes but it is wierd its only effecting the bottom feeders :-?

id give the substrate a good vacumn and see if that helps

This worries me a little, the gravel in my tank are all black, and has some bubbles trapped in it. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

black substrate below the surface and bubbles means it has gone anerobic or 'off', when looking at your substrate from the front of the tank you will be able to see it. that bacteria converts nitrates back to nitrites (or so im told) and the gas is methane? (i think, im not too good with my gasses but i know its not a good one). it can harm you fish if their gills come into contact with it and its just generally bad for the tank. it normally takes a few weeks for the substrate to go anerobic from the time it goes in.

there are a few ways to combat it, i personaly prefer the snail way (cause im lazy lol)- the malaysian trumpet snails work a treat as they burrow down into the substrate but they can become a problem (breed alot) and only come out at night time. if you havent planted your tank heavily give the substrate a real good dig with the siphon. having less substrate can help ease the problem too.

silver blade- is your tank just newly setup (like a few days to a week ago)? if so it may just be air pockets trapped and could be nothing to worry about.

The gas is probably hydrogen sulphide. It you stir the gravel a bit to realease some bubbles, snif them as the pop at the surface. It will most probably smell like rotten eggs...

It is poisonous to the fish. A good gravel clean will remove the worst of it. You can keep gravel cleaning weekly to remove the organic matter causing the problem or create flow in the gravel by adding under gravel heating or some kind of filter. Probably easier just to clean every week with a typical gravel cleaner. You'll need to suck section of the gravel up and let them swirl round in the vacuum tube until the water runs clear through the gravel. This way all the muck and most of the gas will get sucked out of the tank...

The reason it's happened is most likely buildup of organic matter due to not cleaning the gravel. The gravel clogs up and anaerobic activity makes the gas...

if your gonna go nuts and get every little last inch of gravel cleaned then i would, just chuck em into a bucket with an airstone while you do it. im sure it would leave some trace of something in the water as it goes to the surface and in big amounts it may upset the fish? once youve cleaned it you can top it up again with fresh water.

warren- it probably is that, when i broke down my old planted (sand so harder to siphon than gravel) the lowest level was anerobic and made my room smell like farts (which i got blamed for doing!) :o :lol:

Air bubbles are small and harmless. The gaseous bad bubbles are a lot bigger and stink when they break the surface. I have deep substrate in parts of my tank and every now and then get a pocket of big bubbles released when I siphon. Doesn't bother the fish as the bubbles are contained until they hit the surface.

tank less than week old 2nd hand but sat in wet pets for little while cleaned good and gravel good we well i think put to many fish in at once to soon

infected fish

2 clown loaches

1 algae eater (chinese)

1 khuli loach

what can i do to cure this clowns not bad algae eater terrible

how many fish is safe to add at a time and how often its 100cm long 45cm wide 55cm high

heres a list of what we have

10 neons

2 glows

5 leapord danios

1 silver shark

1 khuli loach

2 bristle noses

1 gold nugget pleco

1 golden gourami

4 platties

2 tiger barbs

1 fighter

1 chinese algae eater

2 clown loaches

2 pakastan loachs

and my favorate

1 pictus catfish

how many more fish could tank handle also what here eats plants something has been eating plants :cry:

thank you for your help guys

Have a look here

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/tancap.htm

It is the water surface area that is important, how much filtration you have and how much surface agitation there is.

You have 10 bottom feeders in there so make sure they get enough to eat.

The silver shark needs a much bigger tank to grow properly.

The pictus likes to eat neons and similar sized fish.

The tiger barbs will nibble at plants and the algae eater will suck holes in the leaves.

Gold nugget plecs are apparently very territorial and need 0.3 - 0.5 sq meters of territory.

I suspect the barbs at least will eventually start eating the fighter's fins.

crikey, it is a fair whack of fish. i suspect the most sensitive ones are showing signs first but i would expect the others to show some sort of symptoms soon. you may be experiencing a mini cycle from the tank moving or it may just be too many fish and not enough w/c's to keep everything under control.

i would ditch the ones caryl mentioned (shark, pictus, tiger barbs, nugget) or get another tank :wink: the shark will get to 30cm or so, the pictus i have no idea and the nugget will get to 35cm and be quite agro. the barbs will just be pains in the bottom cause they are in a smaller group and have fish they can nip at

i would be doing w/c's every 2-3 days depending on what the levels are telling you, during the earlier stages of some problems they can sometimes be halted and stopped by extra clean water :)