Strange Comet behaviour?

Lani

Can someone explain please- young comet in bowl with 1 comet + 4 WCMM keeps swimming madly/wildly about. The others are normally active and all have their rest phases. I guess you will all tell me bowls are not good - this is a 410 cm high 'vase' about 8-9 litres water. I do weekly 20% water change. All are young fish, all less 1" body length. Oh yes - I am a beginner!

I don't know exactly what you are asking. But a 8-9L bowl might not be quite enough for some comets as well as white cloud mountain minnows, they would do much better in a small tank where they can swim more freely. Sorry I can't help much as I don't quite know what you are asking.

If you are looking for a small tank It happens I have a 90L complete setup on trademe with a stand and hood,prime filter, lights etc , and three comets, and i'm in Auckland aswell, incase you were looking. Anyway, It now looks like i'm forcing you into a purchase :lol:

However, I would strongly recommend a small tank no matter where you purchase it from and the fish will benefit from it, and due to the filter you won't need to do a 20% water change weekly, which would reduce stress and save time.

Sorry I can't be of much help, If you could try to explain what you are asking and I'll do my best to help you out. :wink:

The behaviour could be due to stress of an overcrowded bowl, which is why I recommend tanks, and still they don't have to take up much room, if you get a taller one, and coldwater tanks barely consume any power, only the power of the filter that shouldn't be noticeable on your powerbill. Check out trademe for some tanks maybe. :D:D

Good Luck :bounce:

Fish is likely to be literally freaking out. If he is new, he's probably not used to living in an 8 litre vase :-? If he's been there a while and just started doing it, its likely something has scared him on a regular basis. See if he does it all the time, or just when somebody is in the room etc

Larger living space and a little oxygen weed would stop this behaviour. Sounds like he's just frightened.

thanks. I was wondering why it would seem to be going crazy while the other fish seem normal. Perhaps this behaviour is just its own personality! I guess at some point I will have to progress to a tank set up. When the comets are a bit bigger I intend to put them out in my pond with 2 others, about 6" in length.

Fish is likely to be literally freaking out. If he is new, he's probably not used to living in an 8 litre vase :-? If he's been there a while and just started doing it, its likely something has scared him on a regular basis. See if he does it all the time, or just when somebody is in the room etc

Larger living space and a little oxygen weed would stop this behaviour. Sounds like he's just frightened.

:o if there's noone in the room who would see him? Is this Zen - the sound of one hand clapping?? Seriously, thanks for your reply

Hi Lani

How long have you had your fish? If it is only a few weeks the fish could be experiencing some of the effects of the bowl cycling. You may require daily water changes for a while to reduce the amounts of toxins in the water while the tank bacteria catch up with the fish waste. Reducing feeding will help also.

MCT

:o if there's noone in the room who would see him? Is this Zen - the sound of one hand clapping?? Seriously, thanks for your reply

Use common sense. When you first pop your head in, see if he's calm , then you enter near the tank and he flips out, then its obviously just fear. If he has nothing to be scared of, he'll stop doing it in time.

If he's just going up and down the glass and ignoring people etc then he probably just wants out, which he'll grow out of. Perhaps he was raised in a pond and isnt used to the glass.

If you're concerned about tank conditions, then do a 50% water change, and see if he calms down afterwards. Although personally I beleive if there was a problem with the water he'd be more likely to slow down and stay near the surface than swim 'madly' as he wouldn't have the energy.

As a follow up everyone - I have located little comet to outside pond and already he seems happier - more space, lots of thick oxygen weed as opposed to plants from the LFS, and the other 2 fish appear to have accepted him.! Yay. Peace at last.