Sideways heaters?

Bananalobster

I have had a variant of positions over time and different tanks. Between up and down, angled, and straight across the bottom. It really depends on the decor and such you are going to put in the tank to hide it and what the water flow will be as you don't want it sitting in a "cold spot" and thus over heating the rest ov the tank.

In short the submersible heaters position is up to the end aquatist (that's you in this case). :)

That's actually a good point .. make sure it is a submersible before sticking it in the water..

A friend of mine got a new tank back in the summer and when I popped by to take a peek he had am ALLGlass submersible mounted with the top sticking out of the water way past where the "safe water level" mark was .. Which of course the heater would not turn on as it has a built in saftey when the water gets low.

He was used to the old style hang on back style of heaters and thought that was how they were to be mounted..

Surely if you had adequqte filtration, therefore adequate water movement, there would be no such thing as a "cold area"

The tank water is near enough the same all over.

You can develop a cooler area under the gravel without an U/G fiter tho

Alan 104

The reason i have heard, and why i do it, is because the temperature gauge part (the part of the heater that tells itself to turn off because the water is hot enough) is on the top of the heater, so if it is straight up and down, the water that has just been heated by the bottom part of the heat, goes straight up and the part at the top tells itself to turn off because the water is warm enough, where actualy the only part of the water that is warm enough is the part just around the heater...

Does that make sence ??

Yes, and while I dont count it as important, I was always taught to have the heater at a 45-60 degree angle for that reason. Honestly though some of my heaters are vertical, some at 45deg, some at 60deg, even on occasions horizontal, and in fry tanks with low water circulation, no noticable difference.

Also remember the thermostat is inside the glass, not in the water, its actually measuring the ambient temperature inside the glass tube by theory.

..and if your $19 Masterpet heater gets water in it from being 'submersed' dont try to dismantle it at 1AM :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think every tank is different but I have one 4 ft tank with a vertical heater each end and when it is heavily planted it layers and will be 2-3 degrees lower on the bottom. This is fixed with a small filter at the bottom. It is only a problem when heavily planted ( I guess it restricts the flow)

most of mine are on and angle but i have no hesitations about putting my stainless' vertical as they have an external thermostat so its not going to stop the heater from working properly. all my heaters have filter outlets placed near them or facing towards them to make sure the heat is getting around properly