Hard "dot" Algae

kylejmorrison

Apparently, if its the same stuff which I had in my 6fter, Dark told me about it, its actually tiny shelled creatures(name escapes me) which have algae growing on their shells, iirc the shells are used for very fine filtration, best way to remove them from Glass is with a razor / stanley Knife blade, works a treat. From rock / wood, could try the boiling water, obviously take rock / wood out of tank first... :)

they also seem to be so prevalent in your tank as i understand because you are removing the other algae and thus making the conditions easier for the spot algae to grow. if you left the tank alone, the other algae will outcompete the spot algae and your problem wouldn't exist but that wont really help in viewing the fish. algae scrapers will do the job though.

• 4 weeks later...

one thing that worked for me on the rocks not the glass

is to put the rocks outside for a few days

it seems drying them out or the rain water not sure which is really quite good at getting rid of the dreaded green spot alge

worth a try anyway worked for me :-?

We got a tank cleaning tool from the pet shop, about $10, consists of a long (30ish cm) handle with 3 attachments, one of which was a hard blade and removed all the hard-dot algae with ease.

Recommend having a look for a similar tool. If its on rocks etc then out with the old toothbrush I'm affraid