Visit To Taupo

Graeme Jackson

Hi Graeme, Aratiatia dam at 10/12/2 o,clock when gates opened.Cossie club does nice meals and reasonably priced.Craters of the moon.Pink and white terraces Wairakei.Prawn park and sky diving if you are that way inclined. If you get really really really desperate i will show you around(but be warned i talk a lot).

cheers jim.

I just googled it and tekaanu doesn't come up - but tokaanu does and it is a geo thermal park???? at the bottem of taupo somewhere? I would really like to have a look as I am heading up to hamilton in mid november and I would really like to make it a decent trip and go around a few places... this sounds like a interesting place to visit...

oh blow - hadn't thought of that. I was just going to suggest that you and Ballistic and Ian and I and anyone who wanted to should get our gummies on and go and catch all the mollies, guppies and gambusia up north to help the environment ......................(and have a lot of laughs)

But noooooooooooooo water fights - I am too old and slow to win any. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back on topic - if Graeme is a fisherperson I think there are some great launch trips on the lake etc.

And if he is a great outdoors person theres a quad bike thingie at Turangi where you can go out to the base of the mountains.

Trust me the last thing I would want to do is go and wreck the river or where ever they are (and I know how that feels as people did that to rainbow trout on our farm) . If i did catch any I definately would not be trying to catch them all or going over someones property to do so - thats why I asked if you are allowed to catch them??

Mostly I just wanted to see them as it sounds amasing.....sounds like you might have to stop by and have a look Graeme :wink:

And I don't really know anyone to tell that would actually interested :oops:

and sorry for side tracking the topic Graeme

Don't need to cross anyones land.

Park the car and take six paces and you feet should be just about wet.

Not a river, but a thermal pond, fed by a spring which gives them the correct temperature, and which then flows into Lake Taupo.

They are not a threat to the environment as the water they live in is too hot for trout or natives, so they just fill an empty niche.

Only thing to beware of are some ignorant ummm, (careful Al, your a Mod) people, that say that they put them there and that they eat them.

Yeah? Pull the other one.

To find it, head for Little Waihi from Tokaanu, just before you take a turn to go up a steep incline, away from the Lake there was a stretch of water on your left.

THAT'S the pond.

By the way, you don't have a dog's chance of catching them all.

One, there are to many of them.

Two, they are spread all around the lake area, some of which is inaccesable.

Three, you wont be smart enough to catch them, well, not all of them, they can JUMP

Four, you'll need the right nets or gear to get them.

The best are the electric stunners, and not many ppl have them, do they??

There you are, the secrets out, I have known about them now for about 20 years, and when I first found them, the feeder spring was so hot it was used by the local maori to scald pigs.

Now it will hardly warm a can of spaggeti.

Alan 104

ps, It is a good place to visit as the hobbiests will find out.

Check out the stream that you crossed over just before the pond too. Good plants in there

Al

So if I could catch one or two it should be ok to take them? I don't want to get wet or anything so i doubt I will get any but just want to check :lol: And the plants you said about they are also ok to take a couple cuttings off?

Yea I have about 10 or more mollies and I have a heck of a job catching them in a 100 ltr tank so I doubt I could in like a 100000000000ltr lake :lol: It probably would be pretty funny watching me try though!!!

Thanks heaps for the info Alan!!