My Pictus Cat is soo cool

OutOfAfrica

Hi Team,

I was travelling around NZ quite a while ago and during my journey I came across a very interesting cat. It was advertised as a "Pictus" . Looked really cool so I bought it. Now that my "little" pictus has grown into an 18" beauty I thought I should check out what variety he is - he has a flat head and really cool vertical stripes :D

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm :-?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, none of the big cats are on the "Allowable Imports" list :( Its possible, though, that a juvie got mixed up in a shipment of Pictus and wasn't picked up on. A lot of Pimelodid's can look pretty similar when they're very small.

Whatever it is, if its got stripes, its not a Pictus :wink:

until i see pics im not sold.

also your 'buyer' will be loaded, how do i know? cause the more common shovels can hit 3 foot easily and not many people have tanks that large :lol:

i thought shovelnose as soon as i read the flat nose part but i just dont think the likely hood of them getting mixed up in a shipment is very common, i only know of one other person ever to have had one.

also (to the people that know about this stuff), when fish that we arent allowed get mixed up in shipments would they get destroyed if found? if so i hope you dont get your fishie confiscated

also (to the people that know about this stuff), when fish that we aren't allowed get mixed up in shipments would they get destroyed if found? if so i hope you dont get your fishie confiscated

depends on what sort of fish, they're funny about these things some times they make a huge deal out of the smallest things then other times they can care less :roll:

example WCMM, paradise fish and leopard fish are all cold water fish that can quit easily live and breed in our local streams, plus they're not suppose to be here in the first place as ur not allowed to import them yet u can buy them in LFS

but they would make a huge fuss if they found u in position of an fresh water stingray yet there is not way for them to survive in the wild

I would be happy to post a pic for you "disbelievers" but don't know how.

And yes he exists all right.

His brother ended up at Wet Pets in Palmerston North. For the initiated, you know that one exists brcause it started a riot on this forum quite some time back :lol:

Give me your e-mail address Sharn.

It was nearly 2 years ago that that fish was at Wet Pets. It was estimated them to be around 12 to 16". If yours came in the same shipment and its only grown a few inches in 2 years............

I don't not believe you, I'm just sceptical until proof is offered. I'd be more than happy to post a pic in this thread for you, if you'd like. Send me a PM if you'd like an email address to send a pic to.

I have just sent a pic to "MysticVampire".

Confirmation on its way aye Mystic :wink:

Mean while I will continue to enjoy him :D

FYI - the one at Wet Pets was only about 8" when I delivered him and these guys grow slowly and live a long time. The secret is not to over feed them or they get FAT :o . Keep em lean and they will live a happy healthy life.

Oh yeah, I feed mine chunks of trout every 3-4 days ( and the odd African Cichlid )

:wink: