Iron

Sharkey

Anyone got information on the effect of iron on skimmers? Why do I ask this crazy question, we have a waste water treatment plant installed at work and one of the last stages is to past a low current into mild still plate and it binds and thickens the protein particles which in turn rise to the top to get skimmed off. I think that's the general idea. So being a Marine tank nut I got thinking. I have heard of deltec owners in Germany adding steel wool into the bottom of there skimmers? Has anyone got more information?

In the water treatment plant they said they pass a low current which helps the iron dissolve and it binds with protein (bingo) just what we want to do. In our skimmers with a higher salinity we don't need the electrical current right? As the iron dissolves it binds in the water column to P04 and is easily skimmed out. It might be worth writing to randy and seeing if we can get a bite?

:roll:

Wow randy replies fast nice guy. Im working today so im going to get some more information.They have a manual so i ll get a copy Im sure theres alot more to this. The head tech was talking about it removeing the proteins inside the water thats why it was at the end of the cycle. He also said that we have to change the plates about once a year as they wear out. They ran the plant with fresh water to try it out and there was iron floating on the survice looked like it was binding with stuff?It has 12volt running into it. Stay tuned

PS something they said they normaly put a bank of alaminium in to for cleaning up the water but in our plant we need to remove oils etc not get it to drinking standared as it goes into trade waste. And belive it or not thy had to add salt to the water to get it all going. We also add other chemicals to get the Ph right