Dead live rock.. what to do

tee-em

Ex live rock been out of water for a few months.

Previously been in a reef tank for a few years.

Do I need to cook the rocks?

If yes then do I first start curing them... then cook them to get some bacteria going first before it will cook?

Or can I go straight to this method http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66551

Any thoughts or tried and tested methods on previously used rocks welcome.

chrs

personally i wouldnt do either of the above. i would cook them for around 6 weeks first. if they were in a tank for several years, there will still be a heap of crud in them which you need to get out and have them nice and porous again. after you've cooked for around 6 weeks chuck them in the sump. that will get the nitrifying bacteria populations built up without the unwanted algae growth. then chuck in the display.

It still intrigues a mere mortal like me that you can cook rock in a tank for 3 months (even with a bit of light), put the stuff in your display tank under pretty lights, and the b"**%* stuff decides to host all sorts of crap stuff! :x

The wonders of nature I suppose...

How long to wait depends what you want to do. To get clean as, cooked rock, will probably take quite a few months.

However the basic nitrogen cycle, up to the nitrate stage, is done in about 6 weeks, at that point you can put in the tank & carefully begin stocking. If the rock was cycled in the tank, because of all the stuff that went on, IMO it is a good idea to do a 100% water change to make a fresh start before stocking. At this time ammonia and nitrite will be getting processed, it will be several more months before nitrate is being reduced properly. However most organisms can tolerate a fair amount of nitrate, at least temporarily.

If you start stocking at 6 weeks, provided you go slowly, and skim at max, the rock will continue to "cook" ie clean it's own pores out, you need to keep the tank nice & clean so the rock is "unclogging" faster than it is "clogging".

There are some people who have the patience to spend 6 months cooking rock before putting anything in the tank, I'm not one of them, but they have my respect!