How to tell your fish are fine

nicmack

We had a power cut last night from 11pm till approx 6.30 pm so my temperature in the tank was not correct, when I got up this morning it was reading around 19 degrees, the fish all appear to be okayso far, how can I tell if they are okay? I am going to get a backup power supply ASAP..... :cry:

How to tell they are OK? - They are alive and swimming.

They will be fine. Just keep an eye on them for the next few days in case they have a mild outbreak of whitespot. Slow temperature drops like that don't trouble to most fish, it is sudden temperature changes that cause the problem.

What will cause more concern is the filtration, especially if you are overstocked. Some of the bacteria will have died during the power cut.

You might want to perform a water change to be extra safe. Do not be tempted to try and raise the temperature faster. It will slowly get back to the correct temp soon enough and with less stress on the fish.

Thanks Caryl, is whitespot as the name suggests... would I easily be able to see it on the fish? I was so worried about them the heater and thermostat should of bought the temperature back to normal during the day.... When I do the water change is it important that the new water is introuduced slowly to ensure minimal disruption in the tank?

Jude ought to know, she has recently battled an outbreak. The fish will look like you sprinkled salt on them.

What fish do you have in there?

Do you not do regular water changes? If you do, and you should be, do it the same way you usually do. I siphon water out then add new from a bucket I pour in with the water flowing onto my hand so it doesn't disturb the substrate.

Hi Caryl

I have 10 neons 4 angel fish 3 zebra danios and a siamese fighter, I haven't been doing water changes because the guy at the fish bowl in hamilton told me I could do a 30% change every three weeks so I am up for my first change this weekend. everything looks fine in the tank at the moment its an Aqua One 620 but i have noticed a small amount of algae on the front of the tank which can easily be removed with the floating magentic cleaner.

I did get advice from the guy at the fishbowl in Hamilton who is reportedly very good...the tank water was basically left to sit for almost two weeks before any fish were intriduced the neons were only put in last week.....he tested the PH and said it all looked okay before we out any fish in there....

And then you only get those three items when you have added fish or some other pollutant.

Like fish food or a piece of steak or a shrimp etc.

Also you could do it chemically and add ammonia.

All the above you have to have your filtration system working.

Alan 104

You need to do water changes regardless of testing, most people normally try and do 20% each week. Once you are past the cyce stage your water parameters should stay much the same, and you would only need to test if you see a problem, for example have an algae outbreak. And even then the answer to 99% of water problems is to do more bigger water changes.

My advise to you would be to do a 20-30% water change asap cause you will be starting to get water issues by adding that many fish so soon, and even if you aren't it wont do any harm. Then take a water sample to your LFS and see if they will test it for you, they usually will but charge a dollar or two, still heaps cheaper than buying the kits yourself. If you do decide to buy one just get a nitrate one, this measures the end product of the nitrogen cycle and is the chemical that you do the water changes to remove.