Hello Part 2 (Tank Project)

bOi

Hello all, proviously on:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/hello-vt15636.html

This is a new topic to continue on my project. I will try my best to include pictures and updates when I can or make it like a journal. I will also post questions and comments here when I need to. Hope you guys will enjoy reading this as much as me setting it up! :wink:

At the moment, tank is still sitting where it is. Deciding on filtration :-?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys, for the filtration, Im thinking of making a sump or getting a canister filter (Fluval FX5 potential) as im a gadget freak :D I must admit. Now my thoughts on these two are:

SUMP:

Most likely cheaper, and can be made to fit the space I have in the cabinet. This would be on the left side with the door. (See the link on the pervious post for pics) I just need someone to do me the sump or I can help designing it. Good point that I like is that I can hide the heaters in the sump rather than having them in the tank. But one thing im worried about is noise. Like the water flowing from the IN pipe on to the filter tray or water pump noise (maybe minor?) I already have some designs in my head and on paper. Thiking of asking TM (member here)? Wondering how much would a sump setup cost..

Fluval FX5 (or potential competitor :lol: :

I like. I like the looks but then again it will be sitting in the cabinet anyways.. but still a WHOA kinnda thing. Its is definately more expensive. I am using a canister filter at the moment (Aqua1 CF700) and know that they are easy to maintain and quiet. Good point is that it may fit into the cabinet/stand that I have and is proven to be a good product and quiter than a sump probably? Bad point is that I would have to run my heaters in the tank. Not a major issue, but would rather have the heaters out of the tank. And would have the hoses running ouside the tank before going into the tank, dont really want cables etc. Otherwise I can make an overflow with the opening at the bottom of the tank.. sealed of course with a pipe from the tank then connected to a hose to the filter and same goes for the return. How much are the the FX5's now??

Which would be better? I am on a budget (uni student :oops:), but will weigh out the differences and see which is better.

Any opinions would be good :bounce:

Jebo 819 $150, 1200L/hr, and has eight buckets for filter media and includes filter media. You could get two of these if needed. I have two of these, and a Jebo 810. I love them all. Silent, run great, and the 819 is huge, like half a meter tall.

Fluval FX5 is about $800 from memory. Could be wrong. Blueandkim on these forums is the only one I know whom has one, and they rave about it.

The sump is a nice option, except I doubt the cheapest. I think their biggest appeal is really their ability to remove equipment from the display. Its more common with saltwater setups because they run skimmers and other equipment in the sump too, tropical tanks really just have filters and heaters, so not such a big deal visually, and setting up a good one that is silent (eg durso standpipes) and filters well (lots of media, high flow pump) will end up costing you, not huge money, but things add up, $20 here, $50 here, and so it goes.

Just my 2 cents anyway :) I've always wanted a sump, but couldn't validate it cost or space wise. If I have room for another tank, it should have fish in it haha

Thanks SpidersWeb. Ill look into the Jebo's. Yeah sump is usally associated with Marines.. and they can be noisy. Thats a big issue because the tank will be in the family room where I watch TV. :D Also cuz the tank would be a sort of room devider so Im trying to minimse them cables and hoses etc..

Mooloo, Yes the FX5 is awesome. But expensive.. evenso, I like the features it comes with and it seeems easy for maintenance work as well. Read somewhre in this forum about them when I googled for FX5

Cheked on the price for FX5's today. Redwood here selling them for $750. and pet planet selling them for $580. Tempting.

Having second thoughts on a sump now. Although its cheaper than the FX5, but its is noisy and the tank would be in the family room. So i may not resolve to a sump, unless there are ways to make it quiet.. anyone?

seems to me that i may have to go for a canister.. and maybe with a combination of drilling 2 holes at the lower side or back of the tank so i dun have to run the hoses over etc.. not sure if im making any sense :o

But im excited now :bounce:

Jebo 819 $150

Not to be confused with Jebao

Running two of them would give you 2400L/hr circulation and a LOT of filter media. I was suprised with what it came with too:

- cermic noodles

- fine bio-foam

- coarse foam

- glass/cermaic noodles (smaller)

- sealed bag of carbon

There are 8 trays, and each holds 2 items, e.g. two bits of foam, so there is 16 layers of media it comes with.

Comes with all the piping bends you need, plus the spray bar, and a plastic pipe for 'miscellaneous use' haha :roll:

I was stoked when I opened it up.

What it doesn't have is the fancy stuff, like the unkinkable hoses, or the drain tap, or the auto-siphon. The FX5 is worth the money if you like those quality features, especially at the petplanet price, $580 is pretty damn good! As far as filters go, the FX5 is the bees knees. Although make sure that price includes filter media.

The FX5 would mean one filter, instead of two as well so thats less piping and it'd take up less room, so if you dont mind spending the extra $280, I'd still be thinking about it in your situation (as much as I love my Jebos).

Fluval FX5 is about $800 from memory. Could be wrong. Blueandkim on these forums is the only one I know whom has one, and they rave about it.

a new member here "purplecatfish" has one

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 2101791905.

but personally i would get one of these if i was goin to spend that much on a filter.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 452184.htm

and why go for a jebo when u can get aquaone canisters for the same price or cheaper? just wondering cuz i've heard nothing but bad things about jebo and bad experience with jebo heaters but i do like their air pumps :D

but personally i would get one of these if i was goin to spend that much on a filter.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-70452184.htm

Correct me if i am wrong :-?

1) I cant seem to find an Atman website..

2) I have googled Atman filters, and read some reviews that werent so good. They seem to have problems with them soon after using them?

3) Aquaone is a rebrand of Atman? (because of complaints etc)

These are what I found online tho. :(

I also seen at Animates selling the FX5 for $699. They have eheims on 50% special because they are relocationg their shop next door. Also having sale on their tanks (10% to 50% off) for those interested. I had a talk with one of the supervisors there an she would try to ask their manager if they can let me have the fx5 for a special 'relocating' price, because they may have a bigger sale coming up just before they move nextdoor to allow the new stocks. fingers crossed :roll:

If i were to get the FX5 from petplanet, its $584.00 + $(Postage -> 20 to 30?) cuz its massive and rather heavy for a filter. So thats about $600 odd..

Thank all for you opinions and help :D Really made me think clearer on my setup for the filtration bit now :bow:

hey, i have just setup my project tank and its going fine without any hic ups so far (fingers crosed).

ive used a sump for my tank, the cost of the sump its self was only about $50 (made it my self). the main cost was in the bio media and the pump.

still im much happyer with my sump and all up only costed about $400 with 3 300w heaters as well. so for the size of my tank(835l total) worked out much cheaper than canisters.

the other benifit with the sump is that it adds extra water volume to the tank which in end will dilute the toxins

here is a link to my topic which has a pic of the sump design i used.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/americ ... 14627.html

its a bit noisey but unless it was in my bedroom it wouldnt be a problem. i also plan on sound proofing the stand that the sump is in with poly and egg cartens then mdf on the outside. so noise wont be a problem then.

hope this helps

2) I have googled Atman filters, and read some reviews that werent so good. They seem to have problems with them soon after using them?

ur going to find bad reviews on almost everything u look at but of cause there are good ones too like this one:

http://www.aquahobby.com/products/e_Atman_Canister.php

if ur worried about buying a brand with bad reputation then stay away from Jebo!!

3) Aquaone is a rebrand of Atman? (because of complaints etc)

nope, AquaOne use to be ViaAqua [which was not that long ago] and u wont find much complain about AquaOne, IMO they're by far the best quality for $$.

and :o:o 50% off Eheim is that all Eheim products??? i'll be keen for a few things if someone wants to help me out here :lol: :bow:

i also plan on sound proofing the stand that the sump is in with poly and egg cartens then mdf on the outside.

Good idea quack, never thought of that :D but so far im veering towards canisters now.. but thanks for your opinion nevertheless :wink:

Good idea quack, never thought of that :D but so far im veering towards canisters now.. but thanks for your opinion nevertheless :wink:

I meant 50% off filters, not sure about their other eheim stuff tho, but i can have a look for you if there is a particular thing u need?

Also, thanks for clarifying some stuffs for me :roll:

as with all aquarium brands they usually get way over priced here. people in the states are getting FX5's for 199 USD. i have heard good and bad things about FX5's, i hear many aussie stores refuse to stock them now because people are having lots of problems with them? i also hear that their replacable parts are extremely expensive but not too sure, they do however have a massive media capacity and some awesome turn over. personally i think the whole 'gas release', 'back wash' and 'water change' features are a bit over the top for a filter.

i have been reading good things about those atman canisters with the built in UV steriliser, cant remember how many LPH they turn over though, i think theres one on TM at the moment. they are much cheaper too because those fancy extra features.

i have been reading good things about those atman canisters with the built in UV steriliser, cant remember how many LPH they turn over though, i think there's one on TM at the moment. they are much cheaper too because those fancy extra features.

Suitable for aquarium up to 800L

Flow rate: 2340L/H includes water pump for easy start up

Maximum Head Height: 1.93m - 2.2m

Filter Volume: 600-800L

Volume: 22L

UV lamp: 5W

Voltage: 220-240V

Hz: 50/60Hz

Modular design for a variety of filter medians. A superior filtering system

Atman UV2400~~ $299.95

i've been looking at this one for a while now and would be getting it for my 6 foot [800Litres] that i am working on at the moment. if u never used a UV-C system u would be amazed at what it does i run a 9watt UV-C in my 8000L pond and it makes a huge different if i turn it off the water would be green in a week.

Thanks guys. Will look into those Atman's aswell. But if i can get a good deal for those fluvals then I mite jump at them :) If not then looks like Atman's or Jebo's (Sorry don't intend to start a "Atman vs Jebo vs Other" war here :wink:)

The LFS people should get back to me soon I hope.. cant wait to get this set up and running. Might use the new filter on the old tank first to get it cycled and those bugs in there :)

wheee :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: