UPDATES AND QUESTIONS BY ME. PIC'S ON PAGE 3

wagonman

my mollies arent getting aong :( the black one keeps chasing the white one and attacking it, now the white one just hides in the corner to scared to move :( poor bugger

The mollie ratio is three females to one male...as the male will constantly pester the female to mate...i think this is what is happening!!!

• 2 weeks later...

ok finally got my light but how close can the bulbs be to the water? i think i might have to make a new lid because at the moment i only have about a 60mm clearence and if i put the glass back in the lid the bulbs will be like 10mm away from the glass.

any suggestions?

What sort of light is it?

Fluroescent or MH?

If it is Fluro, is it a complete unit with a plastic cover over the lamps, do you know the brand?

If it is a bare fitting with exposed tubes, I would not sit it directly over the tank, the condensation will knacker the components of the fitting over time

I have a couple of complete units with covers which I just sit directly on the glass lid, it gets warm, but not too hot. Most of the heat dissipates through the top of the fitting, which is aluminium.

What sort of light is it?

Fluroescent or MH?

If it is Fluro, is it a complete unit with a plastic cover over the lamps, do you know the brand?

If it is a bare fitting with exposed tubes, I would not sit it directly over the tank, the condensation will knacker the components of the fitting over time

I have a couple of complete units with covers which I just sit directly on the glass lid, it gets warm, but not too hot. Most of the heat dissipates through the top of the fitting, which is aluminium.

it is a twin flro fitting from a light shop, i have glass inside my lid but the fitting and bulbs are just to close so i might get another lid made 50mm higher just so i got that 50mm gap between the bulbs and glass.

The heat usually comes from the ballast, if that is what you are worried about.

Does the fitting have sides, so that the tubes are not sitting directly on the glass, that would be my only worry. Or are you going to mount it in the top of the hood?

The plastic on the front of my Masterpet fitting is only about 10mm from the tubes.

What colour temp are the tubes, for plants you should have about 6400k (kelvins, or colour temperature) minimum. The non aquarium equivilent is colour 86 (cool daylight) or 96, from an electrical wholesalers. The standard 'cool white' are only about 2700k.

The heat usually comes from the ballast, if that is what you are worried about.

Does the fitting have sides, so that the tubes are not sitting directly on the glass, that would be my only worry. Or are you going to mount it in the top of the hood?

The plastic on the front of my Masterpet fitting is only about 10mm from the tubes.

What colour temp are the tubes, for plants you should have about 6400k (kelvins, or colour temperature) minimum. The non aquarium equivilent is colour 86 (cool daylight) or 96, from an electrical wholesalers. The standard 'cool white' are only about 2700k.

i was going to screw it to the underside of my lid but it aint quite deep enough, im going to modify my lid, the bulbs say 18000k ( i got the wrong ones didn't i)

Quite often see this one in the marginal/pond plant area of Palmers. Does fine in the aquarium.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aq ... 94d498e67e

Be aware that even some plants sold in the LFs are marginals, and will only survive for a few months in the aquarium. Quite a lot are grown out of the water (emersed) and will take a while to change to their submersed form, if your lighing is insufficent, they will struggle to do this.

Quite a few plants in plant shops can be grown in tanks. In fact, a lot of aquatic plants sold in the lfs are actually grown emersed (ie out of the water).

Baby tears immediately comes to mind. You can't just buy a plant in a plant shop and totally submerge it though. It must be slowly sunk over a few weeks or months.

ok i now have 12 fish in the tank.

2xneons : did have 4

2xpeppered catfish

1xbristlenose catfish

3xmollies 1 white, 1 orange and one black speckled

2xplatys

1xangel

1xfemale fighter

finally took sum pics but struggled to get many good shot's, your thought's please and yes i have already been told that the rock's i have are to big, i'll get round to changing the size of the gravel one day.

orange mollie

DSCF0679.jpg

white mollie

DSCF0671.jpg

angel

DSCF0670.jpg

female fighter

DSCF0648.jpg

bristlenose

DSCF0647.jpg

white and speckled mollie

DSCF0639.jpg