Yep I finaly done it. Turned to the dark side!

PENEJANE

Thanks to the wonderful help of njd I now have myself a 7 gallon nano tank. Running a Aqua One 300ltr/hr HOB filter and a Jebo clip on 13w PC fluro which will be updated to two 18w energy saver bulbs.

Nothing flash as of yet. Looking at painting the back black at some stage but for now I will go with black paper (not in pic yet). Going to see how it goes.

Cheers

September17th2006.jpg

LOL skippy the nano is way big enough for now (*note the "for now" part*) as we are in the process of buying our first home. I still have another 2 tanks sitting empty and once we are moved in and settled I want to get my big 6ft planted freshwater display sorted.

Looking forward to it big time. Had another look earlier and the dust has settled down heaps and is looking good and clear. Noticed some wee tenticle things sticking out of a piece of rock so I am going to have to wait and see what that is lol

good luck evil bud and hope all goes well for you. Its amazing. I can't keep my nose off the glass hehe. Keep checking to see if anything else has poped up out of the rocks. I will see if I can get my friends camera and take some macros of this little critter so it can get ID'd and sorted for friend or foe.

Looking forward to pics of yours evil when it gets started.

ok I have noticed that the water level is getting a little low now I know that you can't add more salt water and supposed to use fresh water but I don't have a RO unit and was wondering if there is any brand of bottled water that I could get from the supermarket to use for topping up?

I don't think that East Rd sells RO water by the ltr so was wondering what other options I have.

Cheers

:bounce:

ok I have noticed that the water level is getting a little low now I know that you can't add more salt water and supposed to use fresh water but I don't have a RO unit and was wondering if there is any brand of bottled water that I could get from the supermarket to use for topping up?

I don't think that East Rd sells RO water by the ltr so was wondering what other options I have.

Cheers

:bounce:

Countdown/Foodtown sell stuff called "Pure Dew" from memory (if it's on the shelves :lol: ) which used to work well for me for topup.

:o

Dunno if i'm doing it wrong but I use water straight from the sky :o . Roof collection system, thru the water tanks and pump, through the pipes and out of the tap :o:o:o

Mix with ASW (2 cups to 20 litres) and toss in an occasional 20 litres of fresh water to keep the salinity right. Doesn't seem to cause any problems. If you have a big tank and buy water to add in it is going to get &*%@# expensive. Also, research has shown that the bottled stuff is not much better than standard tap water (without the chlorine! but salt mix dechlorinates that anyway)

:o

Dunno if i'm doing it wrong but I use water straight from the sky :o . Roof collection system, thru the water tanks and pump, through the pipes and out of the tap :o:o:o

Mix with ASW (2 cups to 20 litres) and toss in an occasional 20 litres of fresh water to keep the salinity right. Doesn't seem to cause any problems. If you have a big tank and buy water to add in it is going to get &*%@# expensive. Also, research has shown that the bottled stuff is not much better than standard tap water (without the chlorine! but salt mix dechlorinates that anyway)

I used to do this, till till I tested it with a TDS meter one day :D

If I could would it be wise to set up a drum somewhere about the place to collect rain water? Or is this way not worth it? I also take it that way would mean that the water is stagnent and won't be any good after a day or so?

Because you will be using so little your better of buying bottled water. You can get it in 4liter bottles which should last a while.

Ok they never had the brand that was mentioned earlier but I went for the one that had no cloride (sp) in it. I will type up what is on the bottles of water that I got.

Its the Signature Range Spring Water.

MG/Litre

Magnesium 1.42

Calcium 2.31

Potassium 3.9

Sodium 8.9

I went for the bottle that had the less amount of anything. I got 2 4ltr bottles. I soo hope that this water will be fine. Looks like I am losing about 500mls of water every 3 days.

Chloride is not much of a worry, the biggy you are trying to avoid is phosphate.

Some bottled water is simply carbon treated and will still contain phosphate, and some spring water will contain it.

Any water treated with RO will have low / zero phosphate.