M.Johanni spawn

MarkLB

Hi all,

My M. Johanni spat yesterday and I have somewhere around 15 fry. :bounce: :bounce:

Can someone please fill me in on inter breeding between siblings. I've been told it should be avoided but it seems to me that when you get fish from a LFS or a breeder its normally 3 or more fish and they are almost surely siblings so inter breeding is inevitable. Are the fry from inter breeding OK? Can they be given away or sold :) or should they be culled? :cry:

People have huge debates on this topic, it all comes down to personal opinion, i think if the fry look healthy and are not deformed then keep them and sell them on but cull any that have deformities, i have one baby dolphin who is discoloured, not effecting his growth or anything but i'd never sell or breed from it, just leaving it in the grow out tank.

Electric Yellows have been line breed for generations. Not many problems there. Even though most will say its not the best way to go. Most of the studies I have read show that it has taken a good number of generations before any abnormalities have occurred.

Sometimes people have no options anyway with new illegal imports. Or with realitive new species they all stem back to the group orginally imported, or that breeder overseas.

Just see how you go, I suppose is the best advice.

Frenchy :)

I conditioned Mum with a good quality Spirulina flake mixed with 20% good quality regular flake , alternated with small sinking Cichlid pellets and a weekly feed of bloodworm. She was fed at least 3 times a day , 4 if I could manage it.

I've been feeding the fry brine shrimp from the day Mum spat them. They eat it happily.

I'm starting them on 50/50 brineshrimp and fine flake from today.

I conditioned Mum with a good quality Spirulina flake mixed with 20% good quality regular flake , alternated with small sinking Cichlid pellets and a weekly feed of bloodworm. She was fed at least 3 times a day , 4 if I could manage it.

I've been feeding the fry brine shrimp from the day Mum spat them. They eat it happily.

I'm starting them on 50/50 brineshrimp and fine flake from today.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Well, shes done it again.....she spat more babies four days ago. It looks as if there's around 15 or so.

The babies from her first spawn are all looking great. I gave 9 to a friend and I still have 16 to find homes for.

My questions are....how big do they need to be before offering them for sale? They are around 20-25mm excluding tail.

Also....whats a fair price to charge? I'm not out to make money....just cover a little of the cost.