September 4, 200620 yr comment_119480 Hi all, My M. Johanni spat yesterday and I have somewhere around 15 fry. :bounce: :bounce: Can someone please fill me in on inter breeding between siblings. I've been told it should be avoided but it seems to me that when you get fish from a LFS or a breeder its normally 3 or more fish and they are almost surely siblings so inter breeding is inevitable. Are the fry from inter breeding OK? Can they be given away or sold or should they be culled? Report
September 5, 200620 yr Author comment_119503 or should they be culled? This means "Kept". If a fish is healthy I wouldn't cull it. Report
September 5, 200620 yr comment_119545 Keep them sell them whatever you want to do just cull any deformities. Have a look on cichlid-forum apparently in breeding has no adverse effect on fish.. I think it would do but there are a few interesting threads on there thats for sure Report
September 5, 200620 yr comment_119555 People have huge debates on this topic, it all comes down to personal opinion, i think if the fry look healthy and are not deformed then keep them and sell them on but cull any that have deformities, i have one baby dolphin who is discoloured, not effecting his growth or anything but i'd never sell or breed from it, just leaving it in the grow out tank. Report
September 6, 200620 yr comment_119762 Electric Yellows have been line breed for generations. Not many problems there. Even though most will say its not the best way to go. Most of the studies I have read show that it has taken a good number of generations before any abnormalities have occurred. Sometimes people have no options anyway with new illegal imports. Or with realitive new species they all stem back to the group orginally imported, or that breeder overseas. Just see how you go, I suppose is the best advice. Frenchy Report
September 6, 200620 yr Author comment_119840 As always, all good advice. cichlid-forum.com is a fantastic resource. I can't see any obvious deformaties and all the fry are eating and moving well so its all good so far....touch wood. Report
September 13, 200620 yr Author comment_120898 :bounce: :bounce: Cheers bOi. Now that they're a bit bigger I can count them. Theres 20. It was her first spawn and I reckon she did a great job. I expect her next spawn will be larger. Report
September 13, 200620 yr comment_120901 Thats alot for a first spawn, we have an older female we got off someone on here and we just stripped 27 out of her, what did you feed yours? Mine dont seem to eat brine shrimp just take it into their mouths and spit it out.. Report
September 14, 200620 yr Author comment_120930 I conditioned Mum with a good quality Spirulina flake mixed with 20% good quality regular flake , alternated with small sinking Cichlid pellets and a weekly feed of bloodworm. She was fed at least 3 times a day , 4 if I could manage it. I've been feeding the fry brine shrimp from the day Mum spat them. They eat it happily. I'm starting them on 50/50 brineshrimp and fine flake from today. Report
September 14, 200620 yr Author comment_120932 I conditioned Mum with a good quality Spirulina flake mixed with 20% good quality regular flake , alternated with small sinking Cichlid pellets and a weekly feed of bloodworm. She was fed at least 3 times a day , 4 if I could manage it. I've been feeding the fry brine shrimp from the day Mum spat them. They eat it happily. I'm starting them on 50/50 brineshrimp and fine flake from today. Report
September 14, 200620 yr Author comment_120933 :lol: I just re-read my last post realised her diet was nothing special so I didn't really 'condition' her at all. Maybe it was luck. :lol: Report
September 14, 200620 yr comment_120937 Yeah I just feed them whatever it seems to work But the babies are being difficult they eat flake from free swimming so its all good. Report
October 19, 200619 yr Author comment_126867 Hi all. Well, shes done it again.....she spat more babies four days ago. It looks as if there's around 15 or so. The babies from her first spawn are all looking great. I gave 9 to a friend and I still have 16 to find homes for. My questions are....how big do they need to be before offering them for sale? They are around 20-25mm excluding tail. Also....whats a fair price to charge? I'm not out to make money....just cover a little of the cost. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.