what is wrong with my stargrass

DX

the stargrass in my tank does not look very healthy. New leaves have very pale green colour while old ones become wither. My tank is about 100 liter and is placed near a window. I have a tank light with a normal fluorescent tube (18w?) and I turn it on between 6pm and 10pm. Would the direct sun be a problem? Or the lighting is not enough for growing the star grass? or disease?

I have another puzzle. I usually see fresh nice looking plants in fish shop. But I always wonder what they look like when wither and die. Will they look like those of mine in the photo?

dsc_2235.jpg

dsc_2236.jpg

:bow::bow::bow:

I fifth* it, you want ideally 1w/litre, can get away with 0.5 though or a bit less if you have fertilisers and CO2. To answer your second question, the shop plants always look good because they get them in fresh from the growers and then sell them on before they have a chance to die. Use to puzzle me too why shop plants look so good with just the usual fluros that most people have at home.

*edit..you just beat me DJ by the time I hit submit

Thanks for your reply.

I talked to a friend about the problem of my plant. Here is her advice,

"Too much light will kill the plants and encourage

algae. The dying plant material will also encourage the algae and

that is why you should throw it out ASAP.

The links talk about artificial light which would be only a small

fraction of the sunlight your plants are getting near the window. Move the tank

away form window " :o:o

I believe she knows what she is talking about, as she did a PhD about light, water plant and new zealand lake. And I also believe you guys know what you are talking about, as you have good health plants in your tank. really confused. :roll: :roll:

4 hours of light alone is not enough and plus the fact that it is on 18 watt is really low for your 100 l tank.

supplimenting the plant with sun light cause a unbalance effect.

the strong ray from the sun cause the plant to work harder for nutrient but it is not able to do so. Algae will be able to absolve the nutrients a lot faster than your plant. your friends know what she is talking about.

one suggestion is to move away from the sun, increase your watt and have at least 8-10 hours of exposure.

if you do not want to move your tank. than CO2 is needed to encourage you plant to compete against the algae for nutrient.

All the best.