egg tumbler

JoandWilly

We stick them in a guppy trap with an airstone just low enough to keep them moving, but have never tried with eggs alone just fish that we've stripped too early and have to keep moving. Tried with eggs once and had no luck at all, there are a few designs around cichlid forum and other places ive seen.

I always wondered if I had that problem if I could strip a female that wants to pick up her eggs again (like a zebra or something I had 100's of) that was already holding and stick the eggs I wanted to in there and let her pick them up and raise them lol.. I guess it would take some planning to have everything holding at once but would be a laugh..

What fish is not holding right? Is it still young or done it for a few batches? Is it possible your males shooting blanks and thats why shes eating them?

As far as I can tell you might have to make something and even then it seems the unfertilised ones kill the rest pretty quick..

One of them is our dolphin who has breed before, we successfully raised 6 out of about 70 lol, and that was trying to do it from eggs, and the other is our tangerine who holds and the eggs are all fertilized but she always spits after a couple of days and tryed to raise them outselves last time but they fungisized.

• 3 weeks later...

i striped my front mum a little to early,breeding net, don't remove from the main tank, and jiggle the net 3 times aday. all eggs survived,and it's really cool to watch them sprout tails and heads.

gotta make sure eggs don't touch each other as they stick.

i removed one lot from main tank :cry: did not survive, same water,could possibly have been a slight temp difference.with eggs the slightest temp difference make a big difference(fungi or no fungi) some people say that the mother secretes a mucas in her mouth to stop unfertile eggs fuzzing up, i would have to agree. i have taken out babies and found also 2 or so unfertilized eggs at the sametime,they have not gone fuzzy.

if you have to remove eggs from tank,make sure water/temp the same,add a tiny bit of aquaflavin(slight yellow tinge to water) and jiggle 3 times a day.

good luck they are so cool to watch sprout,but are much better kept in mum's mouth, if you strip to early you can stop mum from holding.

cheers shell.