Why are they dying?

ljtan55

The oddest thing happens to my ottos, they get really really big in the stomach, and then I find them dead. It only happends to the bigger ones... happened to a sterbai cory as well. Is it because shes full of eggs and theres no male around? Contemplating doing an autopsy to see if its a growth or if shes gravid... would I be able to tell?

Sorry about your losses :(

Hmmm...I put peas in with my goldies and my 2 ottos, I wonder if they eat them, I've never noticed them eating the peas.

Now, that I have ottos in all my tanks, should I try the zucchini with them, shoot I spelled that wrong didn't I :oops: I did when I had plecos, but haven't tried with the ottos.

Hey ltjan55,

Are you sure they are eggs, I did some research on ottos when I bought a pair and most of them die within 4 months and the leading cause is tuberculosis. TB look like eggs in the belly. Did the "eggs" you found in your autopsy have yolk? or are they hard lumps?

cesarz

They looked like little brown gooey grainy things. To be honest I really didn't get a good look before I flushed her, and I've never seen otto eggs especially from a fish thats alive (found her remains behind a rock, she'd been missing for a couple of days), and her body was kinda squished by the tongs :oops:. So maybe it wasn't eggs at all.

Her stomach was huge, and got huger and huger over the period of 2 months. She kept on eating till the very end... :(

Caryl her diet was algae, i've never seen her touch any of the cucumbers, or courgettes that the SAEs polish off. How would I prevent otos from getting constipation if they won't touch anything else but the green stuff on the glass? Thanks.

Cesarz I dont think and hope its not tuberculosis, its rare in tanks, and they usually get a bent spine as well I thought. But guess whos gonna double glove anyway next time I clean the tank :o It was soft if anything, and kinda lumpy.

Thanks everyone for your replies, kinda sad cos she was the biggest oto in the tank but life goes on.