First Kribensis spawn (Pics!)

Ktttk

I bought 2 pairs of Kribs a couple of weeks ago from bigmills and today, I woke up to a spawn of little kribsters. They are such cool fish to raise and their colours are so vibrant especially around spawning time! Here are a few photos leading up to the spawn and of the spawn itself..

Heres a pic of the pregnant female. Note the cave she has selected behind her.

DSC02411.jpg

Heres a pic of the krib pair:

DSC02401.jpg

This is the female the day before she laid the eggs. After the eggs were laid, she spent about 1 week in the cave, coming out briefly only during feeding time. The male would patrol the territory and give the other occupants a hard time - there were two other kribs, a female fighter and a GBA in the 120L tank.

DSC02484.jpg

And this is what I woke up to today :lol: . Both the male and female were herding the spawn around the cave. The little babies would pick away at the sand looking for food. I have not fed them yet, but their bellies are round and golden - maybe the last remnants of the egg yoke. I plan to give them microworms and crushed pellet food in the next few days.

DSC02512.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02520.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the photos. I'll try and update them as the little ones grow bigger . :D

Thanks guys.

Caper - The female's belly goes red when she is ready to spawn and appears to stay that way during raising of the spawn.

I have a few more pics to add. The fry have now been free swimming for 2 days and both parents are taking excellent care of them. Its cool to watch how they take turns guarding the brood. When the GBA comes near the cave, both parents launch themselves like mini missiles at him and now he knows not to go near that area :) . I still have not fed them yet. The parents are leading them towards the plants where they start to pick away at micro organisms on the leaves. I have some brine shrimp brewing away but want to try feeding powdered cichlid pellets. Will this be ok?

Mum and fry:

DSC02646.jpg

DSC02647.jpg

DSC02664.jpg

DSC02665.jpg

After feeding at night, mum picks up the little ones in her mouth and puts them all back in the cave..

DSC02674.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the comments.. for every single good photo, theres like a truck load of crappy ones!

Ok, the little ones are now 12 days old and are growing fast. I fed them brine shrimp for the first two days, then powdered cichlid pellets. I was away for 3 days and they managed to find bits and pieces of food in the tank.

DSC02746.jpg

DSC02748.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

:bounce: And i had another surprise tonight! The firemouths have laid their first batch of eggs!! I'll try and do a photo diary for them as well, but it may be a little difficult as their tank is not as well lit.

PS: Jeff, I only saw the eggs after you left with the other pair of kribs.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the krib fry - they are now 24 days old and there are about 25 of them. It seems that their only goal in life so far is to eat eat and eat! They swim around the tank looking for things to eat under the guidance of mum and dad... Enjoy the pics!

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

DSC02907.jpg

DSC02923.jpg

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg