How often is too often for water changes?

magenta

I noticed a bit of a build up in our 4ft from the Royal - he's a bit of a sawdust machine :oops:

The water in that tank was also kinda dark with tannins, but all other parameters were good, no nitrates to speak of, fish happy and plants all growing wildly.

So I thought I could do a series of water changes to get rid of the gunk - paying some real attention around the driftwood.

I've done 20%ish the last two nights, and the water is much clearer and cleaner.

No-one seems to be sufering from the extra water change, so my question is:

How often is too often?

I'm on christchurch water, so no issues with chlorine...

If I did a 10-20% each day for 3 or 4 days in a row (or longer even), would that damage the filter in any way?

Logic tells me no, but I'd like some advice from more experienced aquarists :hail:

some discus breeders in singapore etc are doing over 200% daily water changes (lucky guys have warm, unchlorinated water so its easy). as said above, if its close to the same temp and ph (i think .2 is classed as the 'acceptable' range) it wont be a problem at all, you'll probably see your fish perk up with the extra ones