Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Semi-community suggestions please.

Featured Replies

im starting fresh with my 2foot 90L tank and was after some suggestions as to what fish i shall get. Here is a bit about the setup i'm after:

* Its gonna have black gravel.

* its got a couply of small black slate towers topped with drift wood.

* i want to put a lot of plants in there.

* i have a small Pleco

* I want 2 feature fish, probably of the same species.

* Also a bunch of small schooling fish like neons, that won't grow large.

* I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the fish (ie discus)

* I'm still a beginner so they must be a little hardy.

Cheers, anything will be considered. I want a really cool looking fishtank to next to the poker table :lol:

Rory M

What about a couple of Gourami"s, lovely fish, not to big not to small,I was going to suggest Angels but really don't think the tank is big enough for them, not an overly large tank, so you not gonna want anything to big.

Good Luck

Lynda

Your pleco will very soon be too large for that tank. When you have to replace it I'd suggest some bristlenoses. Your LFS might be willing to trade a larger pleco for some smaller fish.

I think the rasboro harlequins are attractive and they school with neons and perhaps some orange platys to add more colour.

Cheers

Jude

  • Author
Your pleco will very soon be too large for that tank. When you have to replace it I'd suggest some bristlenoses. Your LFS might be willing to trade a larger pleco for some smaller fish.

I think the rasboro harlequins are attractive and they school with neons and perhaps some orange platys to add more colour.

Cheers

Jude

and bristlenoses will chomp the algae as well as my pleco? (i don't even know what kind of pleco it is.. :oops: )

  • Author

IMG_0845.jpg

Can anyone name it? its about 5 odd cm's

I know its not the best photo but he never wants to come out at day!

Sorry Rory, I do not know what kind of pleco you have there, but im going to say that i THINK it is a red-spot pleco. Am i right someone? Anyways, bristlenoses will do a great job with the algae in your tank, they are said to do a much better job than plecos. The bristlenose isn't actually a plecostomus, and belongs to the Ancistrus genus. Ancistrus temminckii is the common one we have in NZ.

Hi Rory,

I've just bought a couple of bristlenose's cause my tank was covered in algae, I tell ya a couple of days and you wouldn't have known there was any algae in there, and they dont grow anywhere near as big as plecos, much better choice for ya tank as it is not overly large anywayz.

Good Luck

Lynda

Hi Rory,

I don't reckon you should get neons, instead get some cardinal tetras. They cost a little extra but will look awesome with your black gravel and slate and some nice bright green plants.

Good luck :D

a male fighter? theyre such cute little things and very bright so would contrast well. some little cobalt blue gouramis might look nice also?

How about a school of about 6 Tiger Barbs, and in case of the Pleco how about some Golden Plecos, they take a long time to grow and they will look really good with dark gravel, with the tetras how about some black tetras, I also agree with the Glowlight Tetras they look good,

with the Gourami, I would go for a couple of Flame Gourami's as they have a lot of character and get along well with littler fish.

To help clean the surface a couple of Sailfin Mollys are excellent for that job, I would offer you some but I am in Australia as I have about 150 of them., You could also put in some, Albino Corydoras the help keep the bottom clean and would also look good with the gravel,

anyways hope you like atleast some of my ideas.

  • Author

Wow. Great responses! i've been getting some great ideas from all this, Thanks everyone! :bow::bow::bow:

How well do fighters get on with other fish? i've heard mixed opinions so far.

We have kept a fighter in our community tank with no problems, but we were really careful about who we housed him with. We gave our black widow tetra's away because they can nip the fins, and we also avoided the fancy guppies because the male fighters can think they are other fighters and attack them. No problems with our gouramis, neons, xrays, red eyes

It also really depends on the fighter's personality. I've kept a fighter in my community tank (platies, glowlights, bristlenose, guppies, mollies) with no worries, but the fighter I have now is an aggressive little fella, so he's got his own tank.

hey rory.ive got a 2ft tank and have glowlights,neons,black neons,black widow tetras,zebra danios,serpaes,diamond tetras and kuhli loaches.i definately recommend kuhli loaches as they are really cool and do a good job at cleaning the bottom of my tank ie. leftover fish food and they dont grow that big and get on fine with my pleco.glowlights,neons and black neons are cheap and cool andwould go well with your black gravel.im not sure about fighters tho.good luck with the fish selections.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.