Cubans.

Hecticity

Have noticed a bit of talk and interest since the last batch of Cuban cichlids came in. Just wondering how many people on the forum have one or some..?

Am growing out two at the moment and am still undecided on sex of both but leaning towards male and female at the moment, so hard to tell though.

Would love to see pics of anyone else's, here are a couple of my two both in the first week of purchase. Will get some up to date ones this weekend..

smaller%20cube_zpsc286nhbf.jpg

week%20oner_zpscvdv8yae.jpg

First one smaller potential female, second larger potential male.

Partial tank shot of potential male tank.

tank%20shot_zpsgqtd3buh.jpg

I bought one initially and then another one several weeks after, both from the same LFS. The second one I really believed was a female; took 2-3 visits to make sure. Both were put in my main 550L cichlid tank.

However every chance they meet, they fight each other. This led me to believe the second one is a male. I compared various online photos and made the call that the second one was definitely a male. So after a few days I had to return the second one.

Anyway here are some photos of my only Cuban male:

cuban%20male%201_zpsv1b1wnab.jpg

I regret not picking up a few individuals when they were available.

Should be female if it has a decent portion of black along the dorsal fin. aldrichdg I'd say yours is a male too.

I hope someone is breeding them.

If you are really keen, contact the upper hutt pet centre. They still have the Cuban male I returned (replaced) a couple of weeks ago.

If they can't ship, I can volunteer to do it. Though I should warn you, I have not shipped any fish before.

Both mine seem to change colouration quite frequently, dorsal fin blackness etc.

so will probably just be a waiting game to see as they get bigger, and maybe with introduction.

Aggression levels seem pretty minimal at the moment, ones in with firemouths, sharks loaches and chases the firemouths a bit around feeding but nothing to major.

smaller%20cube_zpsc286nhbf.jpg

First one smaller potential female, second larger potential male.

At first glance, the first photo do looked like a female. At closer look though, the edge of the dorsal fin does not seem to be solid black (orange or reddish?).

I believe it is the same thing that got me wrong. When I visited the LFS a couple of times, the fins were folded so it seemed to me they were solid black (dorsal fin). However when I took it home, and put it with the male, there I could see the dorsal fin in all its glory (expanded). Which wasn't solid black.

So I suggest you confirm if the dorsal fin is solid black when expanded. Also, online sources say Cuban females are a little bit rounder (or plumper).

Here is a photo of a Cuban female that HFF Albany sent me when I inquired, just before the Easter break:

cuban%20female%20hffa_zps7wmuoixr.jpg

Unfortunately (for me), someone local put a hold on it right after the break and eventually purchased it. Hopefully it was you.

At first glance, the first photo do looked like a female. At closer look though, the edge of the dorsal fin does not seem to be solid black (orange or reddish?).

I believe it is the same thing that got me wrong. When I visited the LFS a couple of times, the fins were folded so it seemed to me they were solid black (dorsal fin). However when I took it home, and put it with the male, there I could see the dorsal fin in all its glory (expanded). Which wasn't solid black.

So I suggest you confirm if the dorsal fin is solid black when expanded. Also, online sources say Cuban females are a little bit rounder (or plumper).

Here is a photo of a Cuban female that HFF Albany sent me when I inquired, just before the Easter break:

cuban%20female%20hffa_zps7wmuoixr.jpg

Unfortunately (for me), someone local put a hold on it right after the break and eventually purchased it. Hopefully it was you.

That top one I think is a male, I wouldn't go by the orange on the fin tips. From what I read online it is about the extent of the black on the dorsal fin (as seen in the 2nd photo you put up) and a blackish mark on the flank?

Yeah that last one is female I believe. Saw her a HFF albany.

Dorsal fins are quite rounded at the tips, is that a good way to sex this species? Compared to something like a jag or texas who tend to have dimorphic finnage.

First pic I don't know what it is to be sure. Second pic it looks thick bodied and I would suggest male? If they are co-existing then they are more likely to be a pair?

Nice fish guys. Jealous.

Dorsal shape seems to be more pointed in large males, have seen photos of breeders without though.

Growing my two out separately at the moment, trying to get some decent size on them. Quite tempted to put them together to see if sex becomes more apparent but think I will wait till they are more of a similar size, smaller one is pretty small still....

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these beautys. I have just confirmed she is a female (well I hope im right). I have only based this on the fact that recently I added a female Jack dempsey into my tank and in the last week my cuban has been continuously following her around with no noticed aggressive behavior towards the jack and the Cuban's whole underside has gone dark black and she also looks plumpish. After doing a bit of googling I came across a vid on youtube that showed a breeding pair and the females underside was completly black. I could be wrong but my instincts tell me im on the right track. Wish I could put some pics up but still havent figured that out yet lol (not computor savvy). I am now hoping I can find a male out there somewhere one day. I have read they are not all that hard to breed.

I've found mine have changed between more and less black in fins and on underside occasionally. They seem so hard to sex in my experience. Have been wanting to introduce my two for a while now to see if it helps at all but haven't got round to it yet...Maybe this weekend...

Awesome fish though, mine a very interactive and seem pretty mellow towards my other fish so far.

A link to some pics would be cool if you can't figure out how to post them on here....

Mine is not really aggressive either she was a little bolshy at first when the jack dempsey was added but she's all good now bit of a croozer as well. I put up a pic today on the nz cichlid facebook page under posts. I do hope someone gets to breed them in Nz.

My two are in the same tank as of this afternoon. So far so good. Small one acting like an over protective boyfriend....

Now leaning towards larger one being female, smaller male. But who knows, time will tell I guess.

Photos in the next few days....

My two are in the same tank as of this afternoon. So far so good. Small one acting like an over protective boyfriend....

Now leaning towards larger one being female, smaller male. But who knows, time will tell I guess.

Photos in the next few days....

Good on you... keep us posted please. Cheers.