Local Fish Stores (Wellington)

Fred

Hello all, thought id spend the sunday driving round wellington having a look at what lfs had to offer.

Only thing is i cant find anything more interesting in the yellow pages than animates.

Where are some good places to go for tropical fish in wellington, I live in karori, but dont mind driving porirua/the hutt

Thanks !!!!

Went to Pet Corner in porirua, Animats, and The Pet House in paraparam today unfortunately by the time i got to animalz in mirimar they were closed.

Didnt see anything too interesting, The Pet House had some cool marine fish, and yesterday went to hutt pet centre and they had a raphael catfish.

Do you guys usually get fish ordered in? As I have not all that often seen stand out fish at the petstores. Animates told me that they dont stock many things as they are a bit harder to sell especially with the higher prices,but that they can usually order them in

Locally I make a trip to Hutt Pets in Lower Hutt every weekend. The reason being that they take those unwanted fish, which means unexpected suprises like to pop up now and again, and some are quite large :) Also seem to have the most reasonable prices.

We got a red devil cichlid from them last weekend, and an oscar the week before that. Also grabbed a badly beaten Firemouth a few months back for about $15, quite a big guy, and he's happily king of the tank in our lounge now :) his fins have almost 100% grown back. Was taken in to them because every other fish in the tank was beating him up, was totally worth the $15 to see him recover, and if it wasnt for their policy on fish, I would have missed out.

I've stopped visiting Animates, Paws and Claws** etc for fish because the stock is always the same. Paraparaumu store was good, FINALLY found a pair of gold severums when I visited :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: but its a bit of a journey for regular trips, WetPets was great too but once again distance was a problem and prices were just silly in some cases, I didnt even bring home a single fish that day :o Definately a place I'd visit if I was in Palmy, but doubt I'd go there again just to see the store.

*ramble over*

On another note I've run out of room for tanks downstairs :(

** although being local sometimes I wander in and come out with bags :o

Well they're best buddies at the moment. But yeah, didn't realise we'd probably need to seperate the red devil as they grew to full size until we got home. No problem though, oscar will need a larger tank soon enough, and the red devil can just keep the 210L they're in.

Red devil is about 6 inches, Oscar is about 8 inches. Still young'ins.

Yeah those two are actually Helen's fish (puddles on here). She had a good chat to sharn.

We researched the oscar and red devils a while ago. Oscar will be getting a 280L 5ft tank to himself which is more than the min recommended 200L. Red devil will stay in the 4ft 210L tank. But if size becomes an issue we can always change plans.

Thanks for warning me about the pleco, have got a beautiful redspot with huge finnage and a lyre tail, would hate to lose him, so definately make sure he gets moved to the oscar tank :lol:

you might even need to end up upgrading for that RD, they can get to 12" easily and your standard 210L aint much wider :-? RD's are often very nasty fish to other fish and a little less to humans :lol: many people say that only a few scratches is a good day when your cleaning a RD tank :lol: people often reccomend placing them out of the traffic areas if you do have a grumpy one as its stressful on the fish to be trying to kill you everytime you walk past :lol: most people only have horror stories of tank mates for RD's, i have read a few stories of plecos working ok as long as they have many hiding spots (but really who cares if hes the only fish, theyre REALLY beautiful and well worth the extra tank for him). at 6" hes probably about to hit puberty so expect to see his attitude change slightly, i would keep a very close eye on him and your O, it only takes a few minutes for a RD to destroy an oscar if it wants (oscars are actually pretty woosy fish lol) and that wouldnt be nice at all :cry:

your oscar will LOVE that 280L and you could probably add another medium fish if you liked (perhaps a FM/sev), its only around 70gal (can you tell i spend alot of time on american sites :lol: ) you could probably do an oscar/pleco combo too if you liked.

good luck with your beasties, big fish RULE :hail: