Look what I saw this afternoon

Aqua

does anyone know what I would have to do in order to keep undersize snapper?

Yep, keep very very quite about it :)

Actually I don't think MAF will come knocking at your door over one snapper but if you want to do it legally you might be able to get one from Pah Farm on Kawau Island where they are bred.

Of course if it does outgrow your tank you won't have to think about what to cook for dinner that night :o

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a good idea. I would prefer to do it legally, it's not worth getting snapped and fined and everything confiscated. especially considering I would probably release to the wild if he got too demanding. No interest in eating a snapper that I know where it has been. I prefer the unknown when it comes to eating fish.

The more water changes the better, but if your honest with yourself, you are going to get really sick of doing water changes every weekend... But I wouldn't think its nessessary.

The little critters you talk of will breed easily in the tank. You will need a power head or 2 to help with gas exchange and to keep the water oxygenated, as an air stone and salt water are bad (don't ask...).

When I setup my marine tank, it was running cold for the first few days as we filled it (700 ltrs) once the water cleared it was awesome what we picked up just from water, lots of shrimp and critters, little pods and bugs etc.

You can use lots of brittle star (star fish with long legs) these are GREAT cleanup crews, as are the shrimps and hermit crabs and snails.

No one has talked about filters yet though? Would you use a protein skimmer? That article talks about a plenum, this will reduce nirates for sure, but still no talk of filtration. Natural saltwater yellows quickly, so some form of filteration is needed to keep things clean and reduce algae.

Good luck, I am soooo close, but 1 marine tank is enough for now :) And if I have a 2nd it will run from my existing plumbing, so I use my existing skimmer, filter, calc reactor etc. Maybee a clownfish tank and anomne for breeding? ENDLESS OPTIONS....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I know I am abit late in posting in this thread. I have a rock pool aquarium for the last 10 months and I never get bored observing the creatures in my aquarium. I collected my specimens from north shore beaches as well, including takapuna beach. The tank I have is not big, its only 2 foot tank, HOB power filter, Power head, DIY skimmer, and PC light. I have 3 class shrimps(fisherman wharf), 2 triple fin blenny(fisherman wharf), 10 blue crab (not sure of the name)(fisherman wharf), 2 green anenomes(takapuna), 2 brown anenomes(takapune), oysters, mussles, sea squirts, snails, feather dusters, sea weeds, red sea weeds(mud beds), etc.. I change 2 liter of water every week, and I get my sea water from the beach.

At the moment, I am always scouting for new specimens that are suitable for domestication.

I encourage you guys to go for rock pool aquarium, they are as fun as the tropical marine, and they are cheap to run.

Aqua, FYI, I read on the North Shore Times a few months back that collecting beach sand from north shore beaches is illegal and there is fine that go with that.

Have fun !

Cheers

hi pies,

I have not had a tropical marine yet but I have read lots and follow up on forums like nano-reef.com and reef central. you are right tropical marine is the ultimate.. but at the moment I cannot afford it :roll: but that does not stop me from going to jansens/hollywood to satisfy my craving for a nice tropical marine. :wink:

For the mean time, a cold water marine is cool as!! Other than that I also enjoy collecting and experimenting with all the the inverts and fishes in my tank, plus my wallet is happy as well. I am always looking for different specimens with nice colors and not too distructive to a home aquarium. I'll like to compile a specimen list with photos, habits, etc.

I don't have any photos to share yet. I will try to get hold of a camera with macro option. by the way how do I post picture on this forum?

Cheers

How did you make the DIY skimmer?

I'm still really interested in doing this, but I gave my 2' tank to my bf's son, for his goldfish! :roll:

And a PC light?

So where did you get your sand from Briank?

Yeah, photos would be awesome - if you like, you can email me the pics, and I can post them on my website, and provide a link for everyone here to take a nosey at :P

Hi aqua,

I dont mean to critic you about collecting sand frm north shore beach, I am just passing information around so you dont get in trouble. you can buy coral sand from jansens, I think it was $18 for a bag.or collect it quietly !! :wink::wink:

I made the skimmer using PVC pipe, plastic jam jar, and a wood air-stone.

Not an efficient skimmer but is works and free.. :wink:

| |

| | <- plastic jar - to collect all the crap

L| |J

| |

| |

| | <- PVC pipe

| |

| |

| |

| [] | <- wooden air-stone

| | |

PC Light - Power Compacts Lights. I bought it frm jansens.

thanks for offerring to host the pics. I will try to take some soon. Its hard without a good camera. the ones I have taken previously with my web cam was very blurry.

I saw the picture you took at takapuna, I got those green anenome and they look great.

Go the DIY skimmer. Good work, and airstone driven skimmer is going to be find for somaller tanks and tanks with light bio-loads. If you are looking to make a more spphisicated model, there are some excellent designs on reefcentral.com using all sorts, if I was to DIY i would use a plastic click-clack speghetti jar.

SAND. OK if you are taking small amounts, i would be surprised if there would be any drama. HOWEVER. The sand you get from the beach is not the same as the coral sand you buy from Jansens.

Sand from NZ beachs is silicate in it, which other than its aesthetic value is worthless, bacterria can-not live in this sand. Coral sand will host bacterria as well as buffer than tanks PH and slowing release some calcium too.

I strongly encourage anyone to try marines, tropical or temprate. For me the marine tank is the best thing I have ever done, and my only regret is not doing it years ago.

Good luck

Ok i'm back from my holiday and ready to set up a rockpool aquarium. So far I have read that I need:

tank (duh)

filter

skimmer

coral sand from petshop

anything I have missed? how much do skimmers sell for at the petshops? what sort of filter would I need for a 4ft?

briank - how do you keep the water cool inside your tank?

Chris-

Thanks. I think I will still get coral sand, as if pies is correct, it keeps the bacteria alive. Im not sure about a skimmer though. Would it survive without one like Caryl's did?

+, I don't know of anyone selling a fishtank (4ft or so) that is pretty cheap :(. When I left I could of got a 4ft for $25.

Chris-

I am not sure on the price of skimmers, have a look around. I would always use a skimmer with saltwater, they are very efficient, very simple and they must work. I have seen some for $35.00 without an airpump, VERY simple airstone driven devices, but I am sure it would surfice for a tank with alight bio-load. You can pay thounds for them, but a cheapy or a DIY will be the option here.

As for a filter, if you decided to use one, and I am sure you could get away without one, any canister type filter would do. Running some activated carbon for a week a month will help with water clarity and 'polish' and kill and nasties. Filter wool is not used in my tank, and the water is cristal clear with just a protien skimmer. Remeber this method will only work if you have lots of rock in the tank (which acts as the biological filter for the tank). Filter wool can go 'biological' in saltwater after just a few days, and should not really be kept in there any longer, as it will contribute to nitrates etc.

If you know the sand you are taking doesn't have silicates, then use it, otherwise buy some coral sand and mix some up (25% beach sand) to 'liven' it up. Also be aware of depth. There seems to be 2 schools of thought, less than 2 inches, or more than 8 inches. Not going to go into the details of each here, but I suggest the 1inch, less likley to cause problems.

Rember saltwater is a lot different to freshwater, the cycle will happen violently in saltwater, with algae blooms and bacterria common place. Load the tank initially with hermit crabs, snails and shrimp. They are all free, will eat algae and cycle the tank and work the sane bed. Try and hold off adding anything until you get the tank sorted (a month or 2).

Also you will need some water cirulation. Some power heads or a few submerged water pumps will do for a start. You really can't have enough waterflow. My 700ltr has 25000ltr and hr water movement. There is no upper limit, but add a few in.

Calurpa microalgae is also worth a look. It wil grow in the tank and look awesome, when it starts to die off, take it out and dump it. This algae will stop bad algae from growing, and a biologial filter. Trust me it works.

Good luck, I am eager to see some more people do this, saltwater truely is awesome fun, and there are some beautiful stuff to put in for free on the rockpools.

One last thing to remeber is BIO DIVERSITY. When taking sand, rocks, fish, crabs or whatever keep them wet. You will be astounded by the life that exists on a pieces of rock that is kept wet in trasit (wrapping rock in wet newpaper will work, but may kill spounges etc). Same with sand, keep it went, collect it from clean places, don't take the 'dead' sand from the top of the beach. You want all the little 'monsters'. The more life the better, things will bloom, animals will eat them, things will grow and die. AWESOME...

I am so excited!

Good luck.

Wow thanks heaps Pies. I will get a skimmer then.

About the filter - do you reckon I wouldn't need one in the tank?

Whats some of the cheapest water pump / power heads and the brands that would work with this?

oh, about the tank, i'm still stuck on what size to get. bigger, or smaller?

I'll take that Madarin! And would look at the coral too. We should go get some, where you get those prices from! I want to look!

Anyway that is some good stuff, and the Berlin Skimmers are very good (once considered the best in the world), and would be better than the cheap airstone driven or DIY options.

But the rest of the stuff is all for Trpoical Marine and if thats what you want to do, then GREAT! But its not, tropical marine is EXPENSIVE to do well, there is far more to it than just water and fish and a skimmer. I don't want to put you off, but I do want to promote sensible fish keeping. Do it if you can, but its a financial commitment, and adding corals will make it 5x worse (ask my bank manger).

Quite seriously I am interested in that Maderin though, and maybee some coral depending on what it is :) I would also be interested in the rock, and I happend to have brought a large chilly bin with me :)

Back to the subject.

Those ehiem pumps sound cheap, depending on what they are but I ONLY use ehiem pumps, they last forever. To add waterflow they will be the answer, and remember, you can't have enough...

Pies

Ohh one other thing on the size. As always bigger is ALWAYS better. The cycle is less violent in larger tanks, as are water param changes. You have heard this already. I large tank with less life is much better than a little tank with lots of life. Remeber it costs more to heat, light and filter a big tank.

Cheers Pies. I got those prices out of the T&E. Heres the phone number:

(09)274-4717

Tho I don't know if he has anything left (I haven't rung). At the moment I'm just gonna stick to a rockpool one, and if my parents think it's worthwhile (as in spending that money), I might 'upgrade'.

I am interested in the skimmer if he / she still has it and depending on the condition etc.

The rock and sand sound like a good price as well.

Chris

Yeah as long as the skimmer doesn't leak it will be fine, although they are expesnive there really is little more to them that a pipe and some way to make bubbles.

I think the rockpool is going to be better than GREAT! Have you started yet? ;)

hi Chris, I have not had problem with heat. the tank is kept in my little fish room that has little direct sun. I started the tank in autumn last year so I have not experience much extreme heat.

I suggest you get a bigger tank coz it would provide a much more stable environment for the fishes and some day you would be tempted to upgrade tank if it was a small one. I prefer a shallow tank with big foot print, coz it would be easier to maintain and lights can penatrate to the bottom easier.

i agree with pies about the sand collected from the beach. They are not clean, coz I found alot iron rust when I drag a magnet through it. Just this weekend I bought some lagoon sand from jansen. and maybe coral sand when my finance manager approve it.

I just spoke to my 'fish guy' who hs already spoken to him. The guys rock is dry (therefore not live) but still the price is good, and has a few leather corals and a 'Royal Gramma' which is a pretty yet agressive fish. He also still has the skimmer, which I think would be a good option for you, however if it doesn't come with a pump you would need one to drive it. Most leather corals grow very well, and many people are happy to just give cuttings of them away or for trade.

Thanks for the number though. Good luck on the tank!

In response the the iron inthe sand. This is normal, and its not rust, its just iron sand (which is not the best for fish tanks but is quite dark and attractive).

I am not sure how much sand is sold for, but I buy 15kg sacks of it for about $50.00 in Wellington.