Look what I saw this afternoon

Aqua

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do I Ira!!! If only I could just wander along the beaches up here (I didn't know there was this many accessible beaches on the Shore!) and bring some new livestock home with me!

Peety!! What would I need to get started on a TINY Marine tank? I'm talking equipment - like heater, filter, lights etc etc... I'm really interested in getting something small set up, like, less than 2'... Preferably a set-up that won't die on me within days! :P

no lights? But then I'd need to have it in a brightly lit area?

I notice you've had this thought already Caryl - somewhere down there lol

Did you have any success?

Does anyone know what the 'normal' temperature would be in the rockpools in the wild? 'Cause the ambient room temp in my house seems to be sitting around 21ºC (ish) during the day (when we have the heater on lol), so I'm hoping it won't be much less than that!!!

hrmm.... I could get quite a small tank from Jansens for about $20.. pretty much a little cube - that would be fine :)

Would I be able to collect sand from the beach to use as 'live' sand, or would all the bugs in there die off and kill everything else in the tank?

So many questions, so little patience!!!!! :lol:

We had a rockpool tank set up for a couple of years. Most interesting tank we ever had but keeping it cool was a major problem. They could take higher temps for short periods of time but a room sitting at 28 deg wasn't good. The water needs to be 10 - 15 degs.

We had a 3ft tank, added sand and rocks from the beach and caught all sorts of critters in the rockpools - triplefins, rockfish, shrimps, anemones, sea urchins, chitons, hermit crabs etc. Never fed them either, just topped up the water with sea water every now and then. We used sea water as we figured it would have the microscopic greeblies the others fed on. Must have worked as everything survived. We also added sea lettuce regularly. Lots more critters would come with it too :D

We had a couple of small paua at one stage but they do not cope with higher temps. An octopus was doing well but was an escape artist who discovered he could not overcome carpet fluff! :cry:

We didn't light the aquarium as there was nothing in it that required light. The only plants being the sea lettuce which was eaten by the inhabitants.

wow - how did you manage to get your hands on an occypuss??? :o

Take a look at the link up there ^^ Really good - I'll use it to convince the bf to let me go through with this idea :P

Keeping the tank cool shouldn't be TOO much of a problem, it'll go in the bathroom bench, and the bathroom is the coolest room in the house - what with the window being open 24/7 to keep it mould-free :lol:

Now all I gotta do is get a 2' tank from Jansens... wonder how much they charge? :P

Why get a tank from Jansens? Cut out the expense and go direct to the glazier - lots cheaper.

Someone caught the octopus in a fishing net I believe and kept it alive for us, knowing we had a coldwater marine set up. It was only tiny, about 10cm with his little tentacles stretched full length.

aww that would've been cute!!!!! :o

If I go to the glazier though, won't that just get my sheets of glass? And I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to go! lol

I don't want too big a tank, cause that way there'll be more cost in keeping the thing balanced, and I only really have room for a tiny tank in the bathroom :P

What an interesting idea. I never knew about this, but it's got me real keen. No heater? Even better :lol:

How many time did you change the water Caryl? It sounds really cheap and easy? What filter did you have on it?

Phew, this has got me excited ;)! And I think the parents might let me have this, considering there isnt much money involved (discus take up so much money .. we basicly have to buy a new block of bloodworms a week :evil:).

Chris-

You may find a glazier willing to make a tank for you, alternatively look in the T&E. I purchased a brand new 3' tank for fifty bucks. The quality wasn't incredibly fantastic but the price was. Apparently this guy advertises all the time and he is probably willing to make a tank to your specifications. his add went something like tank for sale with lid, no scratches. The only problem is that he is out west.

The other option is to have a look at other tanks for sale in the t&E. Hopefully when you talk to the people they will be nice enough to give you an honest answer as to the condition.

Good Luck

The bigger tank should stay cooler longer, heat up more slowly and therefore be more stable but we did not find it so. It just meant we had to freeze more bottles! The tank was in the computer room which gets full sun from early afternoon so rarely dropped below 28 during the day and 18 overnight (we are talking sunny Marlborough here). We have since installed airconditioning to keep the computers cool but can't afford to run it 24/7 to keep the room cool enough for the tank. Besides, 10 - 15 is a bit cool for my liking :D

Several of our glass merchants make tanks to your requirements or make them up over spare glass and have them for sale at their place of business. Ring the nearest to you and ask. They are a lot cheaper than buying from a lfs who have a huge mark-up added.

To your questions Chris...

I didn't change the water, just topped it up as it evaporated. Didn't need to do it very often as it had a lid.

It didn't need a heater as it was cold water. Our problem was keeping it cool over summer.

It had an AquaClear HOB filter.

I was looking at doing water changes every weekend, maybe 50%... Otherwise, wouldn't the greeblies die off, and therefore create humungous nitrate/nitrite spikes etc etc?

And filtration? I thought the live rock etc would take care of that?

I know this sounds childish, but man do I love rockpools :lol:

And I already have my parents confirmation for a 4ft tank setup! As long as I pay for it of course ... but oh well! Will be exciting :P

It say's on that site you posted Nik that the first 2 weeks, the water needs to be changed 50% every few days and after that, once a week and after 6 months basicly once a month. But you never did this Caryl?

And about cooling, did you freeze a bottle of water and place it in the tank?

Thanks,

Chris

Hmmm...You might be able to get a knife under the edge of a limpet's shell and carefully pry it up. Probably something similar for an anemone but using something duller so you don't cut it. I think most anemones can detach themselves and move around so they can't be too firmly attached.

Don't you believe it Ira, they stick like glue! You have to prise them very carefully with a knife. Once you get the edge lifted it breaks the seal. You have to be very careful with the anemones, nothing too sharp, or they die. Try to find some which happen to be on a moveable rock and add them, with the rock, to the tank.

Chris, I did not do water changes as they say.

We froze the water inside 3 litre juice containers and floated them in the tank. As they thawed they were put back in the freezer and replaced with frozen ones. At the height of summer we were having to freeze 18 litres a day!

I don't have the tank any more as we could not keep it cool enough. The only stuff I gave them to eat was sea lettuce which we gathered every 2 or 3 weeks for the fun of it. When I had fish in the tank I occasionally threw in a bit of ordinary fish food.

do you mean like the flakes? did you have any crabs in there?

mm .. i have a big freezer outside which could hold quite a few bottles, and I live right next to a beach so water wouldn't be a problem. But is any of this illegal?

Aqua - what did you see down there? Any anemones? Crabs?

I won't be putting the tank in full sunlight .. so it shouldn't heat up as fast ..

Chris-

It isn't illegal as long as you don't catch undersized paua or crays.

Yes, I mean flakes but it might have actually been goldfish crumbles.

We had a hermit crab. Don't know where he came from, he must have been caught up in a patch of lettuce as we didn't deliberately catch him. If you have a hermit crab you must make sure there are bigger shells for him to grow into.

Do you know what I mean by sea lettuce? It is the bright green seaweed that grows along the tide line and looks, believe it or not, a bit like lettuce leaves