Puffer Fish

2fishy

Well it depends on how the shop has labelled them but if it is a GSP (Green spotted puffer) they are very cool fish I currently have 2, they do have special requirements though and alot can be read on the website http://www.thepufferforum.com.

Just to summarise:

They are puffers and therefore require crunchy food to keep there teeth down ie snails, crabs, musells, shell on shrimp.

The GSP's can grow to 6 inches and require at least a 50 gallon tank (200 litres) to keep the happy at this size.

They start of as a brackish fish and slowly migrate to full marine so be prepared to go full marine ie skimmer and such.

They are scaleless fish so you cant use normal medication for disease.

As for tank mates due to the fact they end up full marine I would sugesst you keep the tank as a species only tank. If you have your heart set on tankmates right away you can choose one of the many brackish fish ie bumble gobies but be prepared to keep replacing them as the puffers will eat or at least try to eat many tankmates.

They are also fin nippers so the larger the tank the better especially when adding new tank mates as this will lessen the stresses.

Also make sure you tank is cycled BEFORE putting them in as you will basically kill them they have no tollerance for ammonia.

You go by there size as to when to go full marine, as the grow you change the sg of the tank ie less than 2 inches is low brackish, greater than 2 - 4 inches is mid-high brackish 4-6 inches is marine.

If you are going to purchase them, make sure they are GSP and not figure 8 puffers as the latter stays in brackish, it is very easy to tell the difference.

Also if you are going to purchase them make sure you find out what sg they are in now due to the fact that not all fish shops stick to the rules regarding these fish.

Other than that enjoy :) you will have a fish with alot of personality and also amazing hunting ability

Ok i will ring and ask the supplier (im getting them in for the pet shop i work at), i did ask the supplier but he was pretty vague about the sp of the water, just called it brackish.

I will keep them in a species only tank more than likely.

Thanks for your help and if u think of anything else i should know please let me know!

I want to keep these fish as happy as possible.

Yes there is a number of freshwater puffers however getting them in new zealand is a different story.

If you want something that grows to be a moster then you are looking at something like a fahaka puffer which can grow to 15-18" or you can go with a brazillian and dwarf puffers which stay around the 1.5-3" mark.

I feed mine Mussells, shrimp, scallops, squid, vege mixes, Krill, Mysis, and also rockpool critters such as crabs and snails as they need crunchy stuff to eat to keep there teeth down.

Also at 5-6cm 1.010 should be fine, provided that they were either

A) Previously in a tank that was at this SG

B) Have been acclimated to this SG

Over the next couple of days watch the belly colours and tail to give you an indication on there health constantly dark means there COULD be a problem.

What size tank are they in and what sort of filtration are you using.

Also the tank was cycled BEFORE putting the puffers in right?

yes the tank was cycled, its 84L (too small i know but i can upgrade later on) , the filter is a cannister which is also cycled.

They were acclimated to 1.010 by me, they love frozen bloodworms, is this ok? should i pull some snails out of the other tanks for them to munch?

Bloodworms are fine, but not as a stable diet.

Try and get them use to snails you may have to break the shell so they figure out that there is actually food in there.

Just watch how many snails you put in due to the fact that a dead snail can take your whole tank with it, especially at 84l.

Just so you know you will need to look at a 50 gallon (200 litres) tank minimum for these guys I would suggest you get it sooner rather than later.

baby ones i meant :lol: not sure how a little puffer would do taking on a almighty adult apple snail- probably very badly i would say :lol:

2fishy- have you got any ramshorns in the shop tanks? perhaps they would be ok? the younger ones shells are quite soft

I give my puffer rockpool shrimps - really easy to find once you know where a good spot is and you can keep them for ages in a bucket with an airline. They live for a good 20 mins in the tank once you put them in which is plenty of time for the puffer to eat them. You can find any size from 1cm to about 6cm... and they are FREE!!