Newbie Questions

Aqua

Hi guys!

Are killies best kept in a species tank? From the pics I've seen of them online, they're very pretty and maybe they could go in my lounge tank instead of cichlids! But I wouldn't be interested in breeding them as I don't have enough room for any more tanks, regardless of their size!

So, if I had a species tank and they did breed, what would be the best means of giving the eggs away? Is it worth becoming a member of the NZKA if I'm not going to be actively breeding the fish?

Thanks for putting up with me hehe

Hi Aqua, we have met before.

A birthday had been celebrated the night before I think. :lol:

Yes, the way they are kept best in my opinion is by a species tank, but then others consider me a bit of a fanatic.

The fish could go into a community tank with several species together, or a mass of one species.

One of the best setups I have seen over the years was a tank with blue gardneri, total of about 25 males.

Eggs can be passed on, to other members, through this forum, or even on TradeMe.

They can be packaged in small pill bottles and posted.

Even overseas, but that may be frowned upon in some cases.

If you have mixed species in a tank, in most case it is NOT advisable to save eggs as they (the fish) will and can cross fertilize.

This is severly frowned upon by the killiphiles.

It is worthwhile belonging to the NZKA, as through there, you have the best assortment of killie species throughout NZ.

I have about 16 different species and colour morphs.

But I'm always on the lookout for more though.

Also, if you are not a member of any other club, you are affiliated to the FNZAS as a member through the NZKA, and as such, then become entitled to show your FNZAS members card at special LFS and possibily get a 10% discount, ask nicely tho.

You will also become entitled to the FNZAS quarterly magazine valued at $21.50 or there abouts.

But as a member, you'll get it for free.

So give me an email if you want more information Aqua, and anyone else that may read this.

Alan 104

When did you sign up? FNZAS cards usually go out about August, when the Year Book goes out. They get sent bulk to club secretaries, as a result of capitations being paid, and it is their job to see individual members receive them.

Hi Aqua. Nice to have another person keen on keeping killies. If you need any killi info and even fish then Alan Wakelin is your man. There are members of the NZKA in Auckland who would also be able to help.

I am the new editor of the NZKA newsletter. When you get some killies, and assuming you join the NZKA, send me a photo and a run down on why you like killies and how you have set up your tank etc etc.

Cheers

Aquanut

:D:):D:) Ive got many tanks and every one of them is unplanted. Just water, air and food seems to keep them happy. Having said that Ive seen some killi's in awesome planted tanks and their colours really show up nicely in that environment.

Aquanut