Heat Pads

Fenriswolf

Arg! I'm kind of interested in the idea of a heat pad rather than a... what did they call it... heaterstat? Internal heater with thermostat.

So I tried looking up how to make one myself. Then backed up to just trying to find something explaining how it works (obviously a heater that sits under a tank dispersing even heat across the bottom of the tank... but details!) and can't find anything!

Help? Do many people here use them? Can you buy them from a pet store? Any information would be great.

P.S. Due to weird dimensions of my tank I don't think I could buy one from a store. :roll:

My husband has made them, so has Amazonian. I can send instructions if you want but you need to have at least a limited electrician's ticket to put one together safely. You also need someone to heatseal the ends for you.

OK, at work at mo but will email you tonight (if I remember). Note that if you burn the house down as a result of your heatpad starting a fire, insurance will not cover you if the pad was not done by a certified electrical worker. :wink:

OK, at work at mo but will email you tonight (if I remember). Note that if you burn the house down as a result of your heatpad starting a fire, insurance will not cover you if the pad was not done by a certified electrical worker. :wink:

Heh heh heh. Hopefully no house burning down! I'm semi-related to an electrician, so I may be able to bribe some assistance. 8)

Thanks! :hail:

just call argus in CHCH, tell them how many ltr your tank is, what temp you want, and they will make the cable up for you easy as.

Get poly, lay a layer of tin foil over the poly, then put your cable evenly over the top, cover with another layer of tinfoil.

put tank on top, add thermostat and your done.

Easy.

Most shops run there tanks this way.

Note I only gave the name as a lpace to get what is needed. I gave no address or phone details. They can be found in the phone book.

I think they need the tank footprint too.

We didn't use tinfoil and we used Pinex which we sat on top of the poly.

Sorry guys, just realised I forgot to email the details to you last night. Tonight perhaps! I am at work so will send myself a reminder. :roll:

Intersesting topic.

I happen to have an Argus pet heating pad. Do you know if I could put one of these under a tank as a temporary heat source for a hospital/quarrantine tank? The pet pad is 15 watts.

It needs to be evenly spread over the whole base of the tank or you will have problems with stress fracturing the glass. Also, the pet pad does not have a thermostat on it so you would have to check what temperature you ended up with.

Hello everyone,

This is an interesting topic, heating from the bottom of the tank is mentioned in almost every article about planted tanks.

I would also really appreciate a copy of your instructions Caryl, but only if and when its possible, I certainly appreciate your advice and assistance.

I also have a few questions on this subject -

1. Where do people obtain heater controllers from? Many articles reccoment them for controlling heaters (eg use two heaters, set both on max and use controller to switch heaters on/off to maintain temp), and for under tank heating, but few suppliers of LFS seem to stock them.

2. Is it possible to provide all the heat necessary for maintaining water temp just using under tank heating, or must it always be supplemented using immersable heaters.

Any thoughts, advice, answers would be appreciated.

Cheers, Henry.

Will email instructions Henry.

1. Don't know about heat controllers. We use a glass thermostat on ours but they are hard to get these days. I just happened to have an old one in the cupboard. There used to some called Slikstats but I don't know if they are still available.

2. A heatpad on its own is plenty. Really good as heat rises so provides even heating throughout the tank.

Intersesting topic.

I happen to have an Argus pet heating pad. Do you know if I could put one of these under a tank as a temporary heat source for a hospital/quarrantine tank? The pet pad is 15 watts.

depends on how warm the room is, you may find it does not get hot enough.